Boats and cars

A friend of mine has a restored 1965 MGB. I photographed it for him a couple of years ago, and we went for a drive and a beer. It is one of the nicest MGs (other than Morning Glory, of course) I've seen.

View attachment 67056

CD
Yeah, anything pre 67 is good in my books. After that the bumper regulations kicked in which was the beginning of the end for most British sportscars of that era. I think those wheels are called superlite and a great aftermarket wheel for that car.

Yeah, anything pre 67 is good in my books. After that the bumper regulations kicked in which was the beginning of the end for most British sportscars of that era. I think those wheels are called superlite and a great aftermarket wheel for that car.

Yes, the bumper regs ruined the looks of the classic British roadster. Those are Superlites, and I love them. On MINI coopers back in the day, you could get Minilites, wich looked the same, in a 12-inch size. My current MINI has 17-inch BBS two piece wheels. Things have changed.

CD

Plenty of mgs around New Zealand, a friend had a tr6 but he died about 15 years ago, I've only just remembered, I wonder who ended up with it. It would be worth a bit now I'd say.

Russ

Plenty of mgs around New Zealand, a friend had a tr6 but he died about 15 years ago, I've only just remembered, I wonder who ended up with it. It would be worth a bit now I'd say.

Russ

The Triumph TR6 had a good run about ten to fifteen years ago in the classic car market. Nothing outragious, but a lot more than they sold for new. Not sure if they still draw good money, or not.

The problem with classic British roadsters is finding one that hasn't been eaten up by rust. The Lucas Electrics can be replaced, but if rust eats into the chassis, you are looking at repairs that aren't justified by the car's value.

CD

The Triumph TR6 had a good run about ten to fifteen years ago in the classic car market. Nothing outragious, but a lot more than they sold for new. Not sure if they still draw good money, or not.

The problem with classic British roadsters is finding one that hasn't been eaten up by rust. The Lucas Electrics can be replaced, but if rust eats into the chassis, you are looking at repairs that aren't justified by the car's value.

CD
Lucas has a bad name world wide I think.

Russ

CD
All British classic sports cars are escalating greatly sans the TR7, don't think there's much hope for them I'm afraid, I kid. All European classic sports cars are pretty much out of reach for the average person. This has happened over the last 5 or so years but the last few years has been absolutely ridiculous. I'm talking about decent examples. Even rust buckets from certain cars are through the roof, like any old Porsche or jag. Even saloons like the Mark 2 Jaguar in really bad shape are fetching crazy money. The key is picking future classics and picking one or 2 up now. Don't have the room, and I'm too old but that's what my young self would do......wait i did that in my 30's, but i sold them....yeah, you don't want to do that. lol

All British classic sports cars are escalating greatly sans the TR7, don't think there's much hope for them I'm afraid, I kid. All European classic sports cars are pretty much out of reach for the average person. This has happened over the last 5 or so years but the last few years has been absolutely ridiculous. I'm talking about decent examples. Even rust buckets from certain cars are through the roof, like any old Porsche or jag. Even saloons like the Mark 2 Jaguar in really bad shape are fetching crazy money. The key is picking future classics and picking one or 2 up now. Don't have the room, and I'm too old but that's what my young self would do......wait i did that in my 30's, but i sold them....yeah, you don't want to do that. lol

Since 80 percent of my customers are classic car auction companies, so I've seen all the "fads." Other than the 3.8L four speeds, I've not seen Jag MK2 cars do all that well. Air cooled Porsche 911s have done very well. 993 Turbos are hot.

Since 80 percent of my customers are classic car auction companies, so I've seen all the "fads." Other than the 3.8L four speeds, I've not seen Jag MK2 cars do all that well. Air cooled Porsche 911s have done very well. 993 Turbos are hot.
Decent examples are anywhere from 50k to around 100k. Not too long ago, well 20 years ago they were in the teens. I wouldn't buy a MK2 now, I suspect there isn't much upside left but you never know.

The 80's Ferrari Mondial gets no respect at all and are a buy now imo. As well as the 308's. Another modern classic is the early 90's RX7 but probably a little late now as an investment unless you can find one under 20, then it's a buy if its decent. WRX's are another modern classic. I'd probably add the S2000 to that list as well as the older Nissan MR2's.

The Toyota 2000GT is the only Japanese car to make it into the big leagues. A good one will fetch a million-plus USD. I would not consider any other Japanese car to buy as an investment, even the legendary 240Z. The WRX, RX-7, MR2 and S2000 are commodity cars, and will probably never be collector cars.

Ferrari 308s actually do okay. Their price has been lifted by the rare Ferraris selling for $40-million-plus. I shot a 72 Dino that sold for $600K a few years back. That was an unimaginable price for a Dino five years earlier.

I shot a 73 Daytona Spyder that sold for $1.3 million. I got to drive that one out on the road. The owner gave me the keys, and told me to bring it back when I was done. He did that with all of his cars.

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 10.35.39 PM.jpg

CD

You make a good distinction of what classic actually is with the Toyota 2000GT. My thoughts were running as more of an investment potential. I've had the opportunity to drive a few Ferrari's over the years, never a Daytona. One of my best friends loves the Daytona, says it's his favorite. Personally I'm more of a 275 SWB kind of guy.

Personally I'm more of a 275 SWB kind of guy.

I've driven a few 265GTB4 Ferraris, but not a 275. I love the feel of a V12. My favorite is a Packard 12, but a front engine V12 Ferrari has that same vibe. Smooooooth power.

Ferrari250andLussoSmall.jpg

CD

I got to drive my favorite Ferrari, an Enzo for half a day. The Enzo is what I'd call a form follows function design from Pininfarina. Where as the 275 from the same designer is a work of simplicity and elegance. It's hard to beat Italian design when it comes to automobiles imo. Even though I like drop tops I prefer the coupe to the nart in the 275.

Very familiar with the Enzo. My former boss had one. I never got to drive it, but I did photograph it for a magazine. I did the photoshop work on it, and designed the magazine cover. Interesting guy -- I'll leave it at that.

TDM Cover Enzo.jpg

CD

Back
Top Bottom