Boats and cars

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
12:53 PM
[Mod.Edit: This and the following few posts moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG)]

My last boat was a close second.
My wifes logic is making more sense our friend Zeljko own an upmarket travel company specializing in the American market. 95% of his clients last season were Americans. This season he has been forced to look elsewhere. When the season ends my wife logic says rent off him when we want. No more service costs, marina charges and insurance.The Lema 290 looks favorite Book a boat

Last edited by a moderator:
My wifes logic is making more sense our friend Zeljko own an upmarket travel company specializing in the American market. 95% of his clients last season were Americans. This season he has been forced to look elsewhere. When the season ends my wife logic says rent off him when we want. No more service costs, marina charges and insurance.The Lema 290 looks favorite Book a boat
As the saying goes - boats, planes and women, much cheaper to rent!

As the saying goes - boats, planes and women, much cheaper to rent!
Mate I have always known boats are a sinking a sinking fund. My first BIL (great mate ) and I bought one together after a successful deal in 1971. We parked her in a deep water mooring in Deganwy Conway. She had twin 165 Volvo Penta's. Petrol was cheap. !973 oil crisis !!!

I LOVE BOATS!
They are a bit of a problem at the moment, my friend Zeljko contracted last year to pay 300,000 euro for a beauty last year based on solid profits and expansion. Convid has devastated this years season. He had to pick her up from Istria 3 months ago. She is now sitting at her mooring. Thankfully the banks so far are being supportive.

Mate I have always known boats are a sinking a sinking fund. My first BIL (great mate ) and I bought one together after a successful deal in 1971. We parked her in a deep water mooring in Deganwy Conway. She had twin 165 Volvo Penta's. Petrol was cheap. !973 oil crisis !!!

The saying I've known is "A boat is a hole in the ocean in to which one pours money!" I never had to pour money into the "cattle dive boats" I drove. 3208TA Cats. The Ensign had no keel to speak of and rolled hard. I was told it was designed as a river boat during the Vietnam war. However this one didn't have the three Rolls-Royce, 12 cylinder engines those river boats supposedly had. :headshake:

However this one didn't have the three Rolls-Royce, 12 cylinder engines those river boats supposedly had
The would probably the RR Merlin which had which had a max HP of 1650, three would make it go like a missile.

The saying I've known is "A boat is a hole in the ocean in to which one pours money!" I never had to pour money into the "cattle dive boats" I drove. 3208TA Cats. The Ensign had no keel to speak of and rolled hard. I was told it was designed as a river boat during the Vietnam war. However this one didn't have the three Rolls-Royce, 12 cylinder engines those river boats supposedly had. :headshake:

PT boats in WWII had three Packard V-12 engines. Like all the American car makers, Packard built war machines during WWII.

CD

PT boats in WWII had three Packard V-12 engines. Like all the American car makers, Packard built war machines during WWII.
The Packard V-12 was the RR merlin made by Packard under agreement.
PACKARD V-1650 "MERLIN" ENGINE
The V-1650 liquid-cooled engine was the U.S. version of the famous British Rolls-Royce "Merlin" engine which powered the "Spitfire" and "Hurricane" fighters during the Battle of Britain in 1940. In Sept. 1940, the Packard Co. agreed to build the Merlin engine for both the American and the British Governments, and adapted it for American mass-production methods. The first two Packard-built Merlins to be completed were demonstrated on test stands at a special ceremony at the Packard plant in Detroit on August 2, 1941. Full production began in 1942 and by the end of World War II, 55,873 Merlins had been produced in the U.S.A. The Army Air Forces used the engine almost exclusively in the famed P-51 "Mustang", for it provided greatly improved high-altitude performance over the Allison V-1710 engine used in earlier series of the airplane. The V-1650 Merlin also replaced the V-1710 in the "F" series of the P-40. The British also used Packard-built Merlins during the last three years of the war in their "Spitfire", "Mosquito", and "Lancaster" airplanes.

The Packard V-12 was the RR merlin made by Packard under agreement.
PACKARD V-1650 "MERLIN" ENGINE
The V-1650 liquid-cooled engine was the U.S. version of the famous British Rolls-Royce "Merlin" engine which powered the "Spitfire" and "Hurricane" fighters during the Battle of Britain in 1940. In Sept. 1940, the Packard Co. agreed to build the Merlin engine for both the American and the British Governments, and adapted it for American mass-production methods. The first two Packard-built Merlins to be completed were demonstrated on test stands at a special ceremony at the Packard plant in Detroit on August 2, 1941. Full production began in 1942 and by the end of World War II, 55,873 Merlins had been produced in the U.S.A. The Army Air Forces used the engine almost exclusively in the famed P-51 "Mustang", for it provided greatly improved high-altitude performance over the Allison V-1710 engine used in earlier series of the airplane. The V-1650 Merlin also replaced the V-1710 in the "F" series of the P-40. The British also used Packard-built Merlins during the last three years of the war in their "Spitfire", "Mosquito", and "Lancaster" airplanes.

Interesting history. The Packard factory was the standard of excellence in its day. It is an abandoned shell of a building now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBd0gdxP40

I love Packards. If I could own ONE classic car, it would be a Packard Twelve Coupe Convertible. Packard engines are virtually silent, and silky smooth. The first time I drove one, I almost started it twice, but the owner said, "NO!, it's already running. Nothing compares.

So, I have another "personal, peaceful corner -- a nice drive in the country in a Packard.

CD

A family friend had a Packard in the 60s ?? Big shiny car, he had 8 kids, good Catholics. He had a logging business. All the kids played in the family band in the huge hall they had about the huge garage. I always aspired to be like him.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom