Boats and cars

Mate I have always known boats are a sinking a sinking fund. My first BIL (great mate ) and I bought one together after a successful deal in 1971. We parked her in a deep water mooring in Deganwy Conway. She had twin 165 Volvo Penta's. Petrol was cheap. !973 oil crisis !!!
I have heard boats described as a large hole in the water into which you throw all your money.

Ah, a MINI. Looks like an F56 Cooper. I have an R56 CooperS. :okay:

CD
It's not the S. My mates friend had to get this car from France. Croatia is a dumping ground for three years old ex lease diesel cars due to Croatian drivers not bothering at all about diesel as much as other EU countries. This car is a turbo diesel. Its nippy and drives corners like its on rails.

It's not the S. My mates friend had to get this car from France. Croatia is a dumping ground for three years old ex lease diesel cars due to Croatian drivers not bothering at all about diesel as much as other EU countries. This car is a turbo diesel. Its nippy and drives corners like its on rails.
Yep, the handling is such fun. I have a petrol version, and the power band is mad, I can go from 0 to 50 in third.

I have heard boats described as a large hole in the water into which you throw all your money.

Here is the other saying.

The best two days of a boat owner's life are they day he buys it, and the day he sells it. :laugh:

I've owned four boats (so far). Three of them have been pretty dependable. Two were sailboats, the third was made by Bombardier, and sold under the SeaDoo brand. I've also owned a SeaDoo personal water craft that was rock solid dependable.

The sailboats had very little to go wrong, other than not enough wind when you wanted to use them.

The SeaDoo twin engine jet boat had to stay outside, as it wouldn't fit in the garage, so I had to winterize it and take the batteries out for the winter. The only other problem with that boat was that I had to take it easy when pulling a skier. I had a friend who was 6'7" and weighed 270-plus pounds, and I could pull him out of the water like he was made of cork. I launched a few smaller skiers into faceplants before I got the hang of that boat.

I don't want to talk about the other power boat, other than to say I will never have another boat with a propeller in Texas. The lakes here are man made, and have the remains of trees lurking below the surface, an I had a special talent for finding them.

CD

It's a Cooper.

I was considering replacing it with a new electric one, but they only have a range of 150 miles, so I couldn't even get to the seaside and back in one go.

I don't know if the e-MINI is sold here, or not. We don't get diesels. The current Cooper has the 3 cylinder turbo, and CooperS has the 4 cylinder turbo. My R56 CS has a turbo-4. We do get the John Cooper Works special editions, and even the GP models.

MINI is doing badly in the US. Dealers are closing left and right. There is only one MINI dealer left in Dallas, and it is actually a BMW dealership that has a MINI department.

CD

Last edited:
I don't know if the e-MINI is sold here, or not. We don't get diesels. The current Cooper has the 3 cylinder turbo, and CooperS has the 4 cylinder turbo. My R56 CS has a turbo-4. We do get the John Coop Works special editions, and even the GP models.

MINI is doing badly in the US. Dealers are closing left and right. There is only one MINI dealer left in Dallas, and it is actually a BMW dealership that has a MINI department.

CD
Mine has the 3 cylinder 1.5 which is basically half the BMW V-6, a lovely engine. Here in the UK most Mini dealerships are attached to BMW outlets and share the same service and support centres.

Mine has the 3 cylinder 1.5 which is basically half the BMW V-6, a lovely engine. Here in the UK most Mini dealerships are attached to BMW outlets and share the same service and support centres.

I've been given the 3 cylinder Mini Cooper as a loaner car a few time. They had automatics, of course, but I had no complaints.

BTW, the MINI 3 cylinder must be half of a BMW straight six. BMW does not make a V6, and is very vocal about why.

Many MINI dealerships here are attached to BMW dealerships. The one I used (closest to me) was excellent, but standalone, so they couldn't share infrastructure. The parent company owns dozens of dealerships in Texas, so they are fine, but that particular MINI store wasn't pulling its weight, so they closed it.

CD

I've been given the 3 cylinder Mini Cooper as a loaner car a few time. They had automatics, of course, but I had no complaints.

BTW, the MINI 3 cylinder must be half of a BMW straight six. BMW does not make a V6, and is very vocal about why.

Many MINI dealerships here are attached to BMW dealerships. The one I used (closest to me) was excellent, but standalone, so they couldn't share infrastructure. The parent company owns dozens of dealerships in Texas, so they are fine, but that particular MINI store wasn't pulling its weight, so they closed it.

CD
Sorry, yep straight six, that's what happens when you post early morning without engaging brain.

Rental car:

Back
Top Bottom