bolo

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:08 AM
I bought a large piece of 'bolo' from Waitrose. Not a cut of beef I'd heard of before. The butcher said its sometimes called 'poor man's steak' and that its from the shoulder. He said it can be cut very thin and flash fried. I asked him if it would be good to slow cook it and he 'sort-of' said yes.

Googled it and, to be honest, there isn't much info. One site I saw said it was very tender and could be cut horizontally thickly, rather than thinly and flash fried. Anyway I don't want it as steak, I want to do it as a roast or slow-roast. Does anyone have experience of using this cut?

It's a muscle from the blade trimmed out ,the rest of chuck and blade is best minced or diced,needs a bit of care to cook it correctly....

It's a muscle from the blade trimmed out ,the rest of chuck and blade is best minced or diced,needs a bit of care to cook it correctly....
Oh gloom! :( My adventures with beef have been very patchy. I can do fillet steak to perfection, I can do slow cooked beef in curries, chillis, casseroles etc, I can do standard spag bol, cottage pie and make burgers. I can even make Cornish Pasties. But anything else (like a simple roast beef!) turns out a disaster (tough and chewy).

Can you provide any advice?
its never going to be like a fillet,ensure the meat is completely seamed and trimmed, divide the muscle into steak size pieces to your liking but go across the grain,some may like to marinade ,to start breaking the meat done so red wine garlic and a hard herb like thyme ,heat a pan and sear the meat off and cook to at least medium rare to render any fat into the meat ,be careful not to over cook,rest and add a sauce of your choice,or can be simply braised,similar to bavette a french cut off the skirt can be grilled or braised

Last edited:
its never going to be like a fillet,ensure the meat is completely seamed and trimmed, divide the muscle into steak size pieces to your liking but go across the grain,some may like to marinade ,to start breaking the meat done so red win garlic and a hard herb like thyme ,heat a pan and sear the meat off and cook to at least medium rare to render any fat into the meat ,be careful not to over cook,rest and add a sauce of your choice,or can be simply braised,similar to bavette a french cut off the skirt can be grilled or braised

OK. Thanks. I think I'll go for braising. I'm too worried about it being tough otherwise. But its currently sitting in a marinade of red wine, garlic and thyme, as you suggest. I'll let you know how it turns out.:unsure:

its never going to be like a fillet,ensure the meat is completely seamed and trimmed, divide the muscle into steak size pieces to your liking but go across the grain,some may like to marinade ,to start breaking the meat done so red wine garlic and a hard herb like thyme ,heat a pan and sear the meat off and cook to at least medium rare to render any fat into the meat ,be careful not to over cook,rest and add a sauce of your choice,or can be simply braised,similar to bavette a french cut off the skirt can be grilled or braised
:okay: thank you.

It turned out fine. I cooked it in the slow cooker. The meat was soft and a stringy (nice kind of stringy). Thanks Berties

Back
Top Bottom