Bread. Do you make your own (any kind)

Just made my first loaf in the new (to me) and free bread maker.
But of a challenge making the first loaf because the bread maker is very specific about loads of things and ingredients and the order they all go in etc... I managed to follow the order. Separated the salt from the yeast and had the sugar overt in the same flour hole as the yeast.
The recipe called for oil which I wouldn't normally use, but first loaf and all that. It also called for milk powder, no can do mate. And for bread improved also couldn't do but for totally different reasons. My yeast had different ideas about the amount needed. The recipe wanted 1½tsp for 600g flour, my yeast thought otherwise at 2tsp per 500g. That's actually quite a difference when you maker both for 600g. The yeast instructions won the day and I opted for 2 heaped tsp for 600g (it's hard to heap rounded ball bearings at the best of times).

So the final settings were light crust (I was running low on time and it saved 10mins), 1kg loaf (middle size). 375ml reasonably warm water from the kettle :whistling: 50g olive oil, 10g Sea salt (yeah another bit of info I sort of ignored, it said 1¾tsp salt, sorry 10g is easier), 2 tbsp demerara sugar and 600g plain white organic flour (I'll write it up as a recipe tomorrow)....

I forgot the 2 punch knockdown it mentions in the literature... Never heard that set of beeps and it is in the mud room... But the end result, though a pale top (I did say light crust! ) was a successful loaf of white bread.

I cut it whilst still quite warm using a serrated bread knife.

Screenshot_20190812-192536_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

20190812_184542.jpg

I've got a bread-maker given as a present when I left work in Farnham (so its about 17 years old!). I've used it on a handful of occasions and don't recall it being quite so complicated as yours. At the end of the day I love mixing & kneading by hand - and shaping it how I want the bread. So hence my not using it really. Maybe I should lose it or use it!

Back
Top Bottom