Bread. Do you make your own (any kind)

I use AP flour mostly for bread too. I do have bread flour in the freezer, but most of the time I just grab what's easiest, which is the AP flour. I do have vital wheat gluten, which you can add to the AP flour to increase the gluten, but most times I don't do that either.

...and the toast test is in! :toast:

I'd say this bread makes better toast than commercial breads, but not as good as my usual white sandwich loaf. This is too soft.

Commercial breads are just way too gummy. I like toast that's crisp all the way through and can stand up to a layer of butter and some other spread occasionally.

This bread was soft, but not gummy, so it's pretty good, but not excellent. My usual white sandwich loaf uses water and AP flour, which yields a firmer bread, though not as flavorful (but easier to slice).

I think this bread is best suited untoasted, slathered is butter, and served along some comfort food, like a pot roast or a stew.

A3133A20-4CFA-45BF-8310-A51C94BB84A5.jpeg

...and the toast test is in! :toast:

I'd say this bread makes better toast than commercial breads, but not as good as my usual white sandwich loaf. This is too soft.

Commercial breads are just way too gummy. I like toast that's crisp all the way through and can stand up to a layer of butter and some other spread occasionally.

This bread was soft, but not gummy, so it's pretty good, but not excellent. My usual white sandwich loaf uses water and AP flour, which yields a firmer bread, though not as flavorful (but easier to slice).

I think this bread is best suited untoasted, slathered is butter, and served along some comfort food, like a pot roast or a stew.

View attachment 29961

And that's chutney and just butter?

@morning glory - yes, butter on one, and butter and chutney on the other.

I'll probably retest this bread with an American classic at lunch...Peanut Butter and Jelly (jam).

@morning glory - I've also devised a cunning plan to circumvent any alcohol issues - I've got an empty bottle of non-alcoholic beer and a bottle of sparkling apple juice...those will be coming along, and if challenged, I shall produce these bottles (having safely disposed of the real bevvie bottles) and say, "Alcohol? Me? Why no, Officer, we're enjoying these alcohol-free varieties!"

Foolproof! :cool:

@morning glory - I've also devised a cunning plan to circumvent any alcohol issues - I've got an empty bottle of non-alcoholic beer and a bottle of sparkling apple juice...those will be coming along, and if challenged, I shall produce these bottles (having safely disposed of the real bevvie bottles) and say, "Alcohol? Me? Why no, Officer, we're enjoying these alcohol-free varieties!"

Foolproof! :cool:

Good! I don't reckon you will be challenged. Unless, that is, you drink too much and misbehave! I remember misbehaving in the park...

Back
Top Bottom