Bread. Do you make your own (any kind)

Yes, I got it from Bakery Bits.
I read about it when I was looking for tips on how to get a softer loaf that can be used for sandwiches.

This one: it says it imparts colour and flavour but nothing about softness, so I wasn't sure...

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.31.38.png

Ah... further search. It must be this one?

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 12.33.40.png

I used to make all of our own bread. Mostly sourdough which we love. But I've not made any since moving house last year. I guess 4 months in hospital plus longer at home recovering has meant that I'm out of practice. I must see if my sourdough starter is still alive or if i need to start again from scratch and make new.

I used to make all of our own bread. Mostly sourdough which we love. But I've not made any since moving house last year. I guess 4 months in hospital plus longer at home recovering has meant that I'm out of practice. I must see if my sourdough starter is still alive or if i need to start again from scratch and make new.

I had gotten out of making bread for a while. Now I've gotten back into it. I plan to make lots of & different types of bread as time goes on!! :wink:

When I hear bread I first think loaf: I haven't done this in quite a long time. It just seems like a lot of work for something I can't slice effectively (the are always uneven-looking, and I don't want to invest in a bread slicer for something I rarely make). The last time was 2 years ago, when I made rye bread for St. Paddy's Day sandwiches (see what I said about the slices being uneven?)

img_0792-jpg.jpg

But, of course, naan bread and pita bread are types of bread, and I do make those. Thanks for the reminder, @Herbie! The great thing about bread is that I always have the ingredients to make them.

. It just seems like a lot of work for something I can't slice effectively

It shouldn't be a lot of work. I spend just short of ten minutes hand kneading and the rest of the time it looks after itself. I'm not sure why your bread is so hard to slice effectively. OK - you are slicing it by hand so its never going to be nice neat factory sliced bread. But isn't that part of its charm?

When I hear bread I first think loaf: I haven't done this in quite a long time. It just seems like a lot of work for something I can't slice effectively (the are always uneven-looking, and I don't want to invest in a bread slicer for something I rarely make). The last time was 2 years ago, when I made rye bread for St. Paddy's Day sandwiches (see what I said about the slices being uneven?)

View attachment 28470

But, of course, naan bread and pita bread are types of bread, and I do make those. Thanks for the reminder, @Herbie! The great thing about bread is that I always have the ingredients to make them.

Lmao, you just reminded me of my late mum, slicing bread loaf. She was a leftie, that couldn't cut bread straight,as a kid going to make a sammich and cut some bread, from a piece that had a 30deg angle was such a waste of bread.
The family still laugh about it. I can cut bread straight as a die, I also use an electric knife.

Russ

I find the trick to cutting homemade bread is firstly to let the bread knife do the work - use a gentle sawing action without pressing down hard. Secondly, once you have cut down enough that the knife is below the top of the loaf, use your index finger (of the hand that is holding the loaf) to gently support the top of the slice you are cutting to keep it vertical against the side of the loaf...this helps you keep the knife straight. And thirdly, don't try to cut it too thin....whilst there's no need to settle for doorstops, you do need to accept that you'll never get it as thin as commercially sliced bread.

I can't even remember the last time I bought some ready-made bread, but it must have been 20 years ago. I do remember taking the loaf back because it tasted disgusting.
I make all my own bread, usually sourdough or flatbreads, so just flour, salt and water. If I need a softer bread, I make wholemeal bread with yeast and the liquid one third whey, 2 thirds water; I sometimes add an egg to it too.
I do use a breadmaker for the wholemeal bread (or buns), but only to knead the dough. I bake the bread in my oven because it tastes nicer.
I usually make two loaves instead of one large one and freeze one loaf. I cut the sourdough loaves in two and freeze half.
I also make my own pizza bases.

I can't slice effectively (the are always uneven-looking, and I don't want to invest in a bread slicer for something I rarely make). The last time was 2 years ago, when I made rye bread for St. Paddy's Day sandwiches (see what I said about the slices being uneven?).
Are you left handed? I recently discovered that the expensive Sabatier bread knife that we have been using for the past ten years is a left-handed knife. We are both right-handed, and whilst I have adapted to it, my wife struggles to cut straight with it. Her slices look just like yours!

I find sourdough bread can be a bit difficult to slice evenly as the crust is rather thick compared to a normal loaf. I use one of my psycho knives to start it off, then continue slicing with a normal bread knife. I was wondering earlier today whether to invest in an electric knife.

Back
Top Bottom