Breaking The Routine

Mod.comment. Posts are veering off topic

Do we need a 'wedding thread'? Its one in which I will refuse to participate but I won't let that prejudice me from setting it up. :D

I was thinking that very thing. I've never married, - and if I did at this time, it would surely be breaking routine, though.

And all this stuff about eye make up ... that's something a man learns about most acutely after waking up in a woman's bed in the morning and having found her eye lash curler on the side table. That isn't to say it got used, but picked up and investigated before she exclaims "Here, give me that."

Back on topic. For me these days 'breaking the routine' can be something really minor. For example - I watched 'Coronation Street' tonight. This is the longest running soap on TV. I've not seen it for years so I suppose it broke my usual routine. I actually saw the first episode back in 1960. :ohmy:

Wiki:
Having premiered in December 1960 and still airing to this day, Coronation Street holds the Guinness World Record for longest running soap opera, clocking up 61 years on British TV screens this December.

In the new year, one routine that I will be breaking, is to be no longed sucked in to paying much attention to COVID. It has gotten boring and the noise and chat up just seems never to cease. I'll wear a mask. I'll distance. I get an occasional vaccination. Other than that, I am turning off my attention to the never ending details.

I will start breaking routine by returning to developing my manuscripts for a couple fiction novels and shorts.

In line with that, I will work on completing my reading of Affinity's "Publisher Workbook."

I learned most everything about Affinity Publisher from the tutorials on their website, but the workbook has some great examples and a better arranged presentation of materials.

I have already a working knowledge of Adobe's InDesign publishing software.

Affinity's Publisher software is integrated with their other two products, Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. I have already finished reading both those work books.

I have also, a good working knowledge of Capture One Pro 20 and have gone through their web tutorials as well as the book "Photographer's Guide to Capture One Pro 20."

So I will be honing my skills at Affinity's Publisher software package while working on my manuscripts.

Affinity is owned by Serif and Capture One is owned by Phase One. Of course, InDesign is owned by Adobe.

What sort of genre/subject matter?

My earliest manuscript was a flop, but what can one expect? It was a scifi adventure and I learned much from writing it. Subsequent writings have been improved. I have taken fiction writing classes at JC and U.

I have a couple projects rolling at the moment which were stalled for a while leading up to the move and afterwards. One is another SciFi, another is a Western Romance Adventure and the third is a non-fiction work on a visual art topic. I am not locked into a specific genre. It just matters what I feel I want to do and express. I do like scifi. Research is a constant demand and it is very important to understand people and their interactive relationships, psychology. It is important to understand facts, physics and science and uniquely, philosophy.

I have written several shorts and quite a bit of poetry, and lyrics.

I just finished reviewing the early parts of my western manuscript to get back into the swing of it. It read pretty good, but I did some edits on the some of the chapters to improve flow and better link some paragraphs.

I also changed the name of the main character as I had some bad interactions with a clown a few years ago who had the same name I had picked for that character. I didn't want any reminders. There are always people who think they are superheroes for a center stage in life, but in reality are low intellect bozos who are more of a nuisance than anything else. There was no reason to do something to honor their existence.

The first chapter is always the most important as that is where the conflict is defined and where a reader will get hooked and want to read more of the work. It is the chapter most publishers will want as a sample of the manuscript, along with a statement of the plot and its outcome. My first chapter in this western took some thinking and a few re-edits and when I read it after being away from the work for so long, found myself impressed, very impressed. The second chapter builds upon the first and introduces key items which will show up later in the manuscript to trigger specific actions, directions and resolutions as the plot progresses. It is common in modern writing to have these trigger items established early in the plot. I'm still at play with them.

Back
Top Bottom