Brekky, the most important meal of the day?

We are so BIG on eggs on CookingBites. Don't know why that should be - but it is true! Almost all our regular members seem to adore egg (and nice runny yolks).

I just read on the news site that there's a shortage of eggs in nz. We get ours straight from the grower, and free range.

Russ

I just read on the news site that there's a shortage of eggs in nz. We get ours straight from the grower, and free range.

Russ
our lot are just ramping up their laying with the new chicks from last year starting to lay now. Its very early, more than a month earlier than last year.
We've gone from ticking over with only 3 layers to knowing I have at least 7 that are laying at the moment. That number is only going to increase. I have at least another 3 newbies (chicks from last year) that will start laying soon, very soon. One of their number laid her first egg yesterday and being at a total loss as to what to do or where to lay, and not being in the 'non-free range' run, decided to come and lay on the backdoor step, literally. She is the bottom of the pecking order and always the first to jump down off her perch and say hello to me at night. She knows she'll get some goodies from my pocket (I walk around with seed or black sunflower seeds in my pockets all the time). Then there remains 3 more from whom I may get eggs. Hopefully my old girl won't even try laying eggs this year. She has a calcium issue and always has had which makes her egg laying a problem and a life threatening issue but an implant to stop her laying was going to cost me AUD $300! She might be my oldest and longest had girl at 6 years old (I've had her for her 4th winter now), but $300 is pushing it a touch and she would need one every 6 months.

Anyhow, it will be the same with chickens on your island as well... they will start their laying without the need for artificial light and the likes before very long. then comes the glut and the price drop.... mind you mine are free so its hard to get cheaper.

our lot are just ramping up their laying with the new chicks from last year starting to lay now. Its very early, more than a month earlier than last year.
We've gone from ticking over with only 3 layers to knowing I have at least 7 that are laying at the moment. That number is only going to increase. I have at least another 3 newbies (chicks from last year) that will start laying soon, very soon. One of their number laid her first egg yesterday and being at a total loss as to what to do or where to lay, and not being in the 'non-free range' run, decided to come and lay on the backdoor step, literally. She is the bottom of the pecking order and always the first to jump down off her perch and say hello to me at night. She knows she'll get some goodies from my pocket (I walk around with seed or black sunflower seeds in my pockets all the time). Then there remains 3 more from whom I may get eggs. Hopefully my old girl won't even try laying eggs this year. She has a calcium issue and always has had which makes her egg laying a problem and a life threatening issue but an implant to stop her laying was going to cost me AUD $300! She might be my oldest and longest had girl at 6 years old (I've had her for her 4th winter now), but $300 is pushing it a touch and she would need one every 6 months.

Anyhow, it will be the same with chickens on your island as well... they will start their laying without the need for artificial light and the likes before very long. then comes the glut and the price drop.... mind you mine are free so its hard to get cheaper.

My son has put off getting chickens now, even after buying a henhouse and setting it all up. I told him he's mad not getting chickens, but his wife was talking about diseases going around?? I'm surprised her hasn't gone ahead as he was quite excited about getting them.

Russ

even after buying a henhouse and setting it all up. I told him he's mad not getting chickens,

That's bonkers!

his wife was talking about diseases going around??

Its unlikely - although this article suggests differently:
https://www.wsava.org/WSAVA/media/Documents/Committee Resources/One Health Committee/Clinician-s-Brief,-March-2018,-TP,-Backyard-Chickens.pdf

Thoughts, @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

When I was a kid we kept chickens - just two of them. Given that they lay eggs most days that was just about enough to provide enough eggs for breakfast every week.

Sorry - we are rather off-topic.

One of my favorites is corned beef hash (has to be house made and not from a can) with over easy eggs on top, side of hash browns and buttered rye toast. I like my eggs with hot sauce as well as the potatoes with it. My second favorite is biscuits and sausage gravy. Has to be a good bit of sausage and heavy on the freshly ground black pepper. I make a version with bulk andouille sausage which is quite spicy.

That's bonkers!

Its unlikely - although this article suggests differently:
https://www.wsava.org/WSAVA/media/Documents/Committee Resources/One Health Committee/Clinician-s-Brief,-March-2018,-TP,-Backyard-Chickens.pdf

Thoughts, @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

When I was a kid we kept chickens - just two of them. Given that they lay eggs most days that was just about enough to provide enough eggs for breakfast every week.

Sorry - we are rather off-topic.
Chooks can catch a form of pneumonia that is also one humans can have. I know because that's the one both my husband and I had and left me on life support for 6 days with a total of 12 days in ICU 2 years ago. Ironically we didn't catch it from our chickens but from one of 2 other sources the most likely being another human. The only other possibility was from wild rosellas. We used to get them in the chook house (a converted stable block with loft). they'd get stuck in the completely wired in enclosure, trapped and when we would lock up at night we would have to catch them by hand. Usually we'd have gloves on but there's a chance the week before that we had caught one by hand but that would have separated our infection rate. But we both went down with it on the same timeline, exactly the same., not a day apart or anything liked that, identical timelines which suggests the more likely source was the supermarket at the weekend. It was the only place we were in public together just before our exposure.
So yes you can, but it's no different with other animals, pets, birds the lot. Just think fleas. There are plenty of diseases that do jump animal groups. That's why pigs are so useful for human drug testing etc (not that I approve).

One of my favorites is corned beef hash (has to be house made and not from a can) with over easy eggs on top, side of hash browns and buttered rye toast. I like my eggs with hot sauce as well as the potatoes with it. My second favorite is biscuits and sausage gravy. Has to be a good bit of sausage and heavy on the freshly ground black pepper. I make a version with bulk andouille sausage which is quite spicy.

My daughter also likes her eggs with my chilly hot sauce I make on top. I make it,but it's too hot for me.

Russ

During the week, it's cold cereal. Hot tea with lots of milk, always.

Weekends, a proper cooked breakfast. I'll try to make eggs one day and then either something in the pancakes/waffles/French toast family, or steel-cut oats the other day.

About to start breakfast...I need a head-count of who's comin'!:cook:
EFA94A68-A0C0-40DA-892B-A5C37BA40519.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom