Brexit strikes again

It happened, like it or not. Now the UK has to learn how to get over it.
The thing that amused me was the politician's outrage at how "the country" voted, and their smug complacency in believing "no sane person would vote to leave". Wrong again. After that, of course, it was a childish game of Let's Blame for Brexit. Pathetic crocodile tears all round, instead of turning the page and getting on without Europe.
I just wonder whether the Grauniad will continue to whinge and whine under a Labour government?

Yes, even here in the US (a land renowned for making bad mistakes--especially as of late) were scratching our heads when it happened.

We were shocked here too but the oldies turned out in their droves to vote to leave (partially off the back of being fed lies) and the younger gens were so disillusioned by politicians and their bullsh*t that they didn't bother to turn up and vote.

Now Statista who run continuous polls say only 30% of people still think leaving was a good idea.
I suspect as the older gens shuffle off that percentage will dwindle even further. A lot of the younger gens want back in as soon as possible!

I suspect as the older gens shuffle off that percentage will dwindle even further. A lot of the younger gens want back in as soon as possible!
I looked up statistics. There was an average 72% of the population who voted - a high turnout, which means it wasn't just the oldies who turned out. (General Elections between 1997-2015 were about 65%). In the past 30-40 years, younger voters ( under 35 ) just haven't bothered to vote, so that's where the political parties, of ALL spectrums, need to focus.
As for being fed lies, I don't doubt it at all. Politicians would lie to themselves if it were convenient.

I looked up statistics. There was an average 72% of the population who voted - a high turnout, which means it wasn't just the oldies who turned out. (General Elections between 1997-2015 were about 65%). In the past 30-40 years, younger voters ( under 35 ) just haven't bothered to vote, so that's where the political parties, of ALL spectrums, need to focus.
As for being fed lies, I don't doubt it at all. Politicians would lie to themselves if it were convenient.

You may not have seen that of the 30 most elderly areas in the UK 27 of them voted to leave.

And now only 30% of people think leaving is a good idea.

I agree it would be lovely to just get over it but you can't get over things until they are actually over and this is gift that won't stop giving.

It is still having new and negative impacts on people's lives, real life consequences. We haven't even finished imposing border checks on food yet - still all the fruit n veg etc plus much else to come in. Stagger the pain, because if we felt it all in one hit there would probably be riots.

I'll keep this to food (mostly) as this is a food thread on a food forum.

Excellent food producers are still now having to give up due to the extra cost and paperwork involved in importing and exporting. Real people are losing their jobs and diversity wise we're all poorer for it.

It's ok in my book for people who are just discovering how effected their lives are to express their frustrations and upset.
If my business went under because of it I'd be whining loudly too.

Just get on with it is like telling a poor person to accept their lot and just be poor, people deserve a bit of empathy and the people in that article if you read it are real people.

We are all poorer after this move.

A lot of people do say "well how did you manage before" but it was the 70s when the UK joined the EC and that common economic area over 50 years changed the face of Europe forever, the landscape is unrecognisable from that bygone era. There's no tardis to simply switch things back to the way they were.

Right up to the 80s we produced 80% of our own food. Today it's 46%
We heavily rely on imports.

A lot of that farming land is now gone, many small holders threw in the towel and there was no coherent food security plan for Brexit, there still isn't any decent plan.

So overall as we lose good food, freedom of movement, billions of pounds in business, lives go down the tubes and something as essential to life as food security is ignored I think it's ok for people (including journalists) to whine as loudly as possible at those (who you and I seem to share a contempt of) that sit in power incompetently and complacently screwing things up because they're too busy lining their own pockets and preening their enormous lazy egos.
In fact really is whining enough?

Last edited:
In fact really is whining enough?
..." and I say unto thee..."
It happened, so get over it. No good crying over spilt milk. Even if the next government (which I'm pretty sure will be Labour) decided they wanted to go back, it's going to take at least 10 more years, so it has to be faced, unfortunately. It's time to be creative, and it's time to get tough with our local MPs so they really understand what the consequences are, get truly active with our legislative bodies and make them take positive action. Easier said than done, of course.
My view from 5,000 miles away was that the Referendum was launched with arrogant complacency by the government. They never imagined that the answer would be "LEAVE", and you can chuck in a few from other parties as well! That should have been a huge wake up call, but they just went back to sleep.

Hmm, you're a naturally sympathetic soul you ay!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
As my BIL always says, "it is what it is". If you can't change it, then there's no point in getting an ulcer worrying about it. Dismiss it from your mind and see how you can take advantage of the new situation. There will obviously be many people affected by it, but I'm sorry to say that's collateral damage. As for moaning about it, and blaming others, that only gives you temporary satisfaction; it makes no difference to those poor souls who are affected.
The other day I watched this on Instagram, and I thought it was absolutely perfect. That's the way I think.
Use the difficulty

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
As my BIL always says, "it is what it is". If you can't change it, then there's no point in getting an ulcer worrying about it. Dismiss it from your mind and see how you can take advantage of the new situation. There will obviously be many people affected by it, but I'm sorry to say that's collateral damage. As for moaning about it, and blaming others, that only gives you temporary satisfaction; it makes no difference to those poor souls who are affected.
The other day I watched this on Instagram, and I thought it was absolutely perfect. That's the way I think.
Use the difficulty
I can imagine you got on very well working in a corporate workplace.

there was a time before "Br" - things were imported/exported, it all worked.
the only thing "Brexit" ha brought is more government regulation, taxation, feed, paperwork, certifications, et. al.

fire the axxholes that insist on micromanaging every detail of life in UK.
UK citizens do not require permission from the government to exist.

I can imagine you got on very well working in a corporate workplace.
HR. When the main part of your job is "downsizing" (which it was from 1993 to 2001) you simply have to learn to stay unattached. It wasn't my fault that people got fired; it was how the company/ies wanted to work, but I was the one who had to break the news.
Actually, I came to despise "corporate". Just like politics. That's why I got out and started working for myself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom