Brisket!

I thought it was too salty and peppery?

Aaron Franklin has a series of videos on brisket. My instinct would be to do whatever he does.

CD
As I wrote, a tiny bit. Cutting down to 3/16 cup each versus 1/4 cup each is not a huge difference on an 11ish pound hunk of meat.

Craig has 1 of Franklin's cookbooks and frankly I haven't been thrilled with what he has cooked from it.

I'll stick with something that I know works with just a tiny adjustment

Most cooked meats tend to toughen up the next day when it is reheated. How can this be prevented? I sometimes don't reheat it all the way. Only enough to get it warm but still not cold. Now with fried or baked chicken, I can eat it cold staight from the fridge!! I've always liked it that way!! :whistling:

Most cooked meats tend to toughen up the next day when it is reheated. How can this be prevented? I sometimes don't reheat it all the way. Only enough to get it warm but still not cold. Now with fried or baked chicken, I can eat it cold staight from the fridge!! I've always liked it that way!! :whistling:

With BBQ, I actually find a quick reheat in the microwave oven works well. Just don't overdo it. Like you said, I go for warmed through, not HOT! It stays tender and juicy.

I also love cold leftover chicken to snack on.

CD

With BBQ, I actually find a quick reheat in the microwave oven works well. Just don't overdo it. Like you said, I go for warmed through, not HOT! It stays tender and juicy.

I also love cold leftover chicken to snack on.

CD

Great minds think alike, hey?!!! :whistling:

Just bought a beef brisket from Whole Foods. I'll slow-roast it next week. Expensive at $40 for only 4lbs of it!!! Need some dark rum & other things first. But it should be good!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Just bought a beef brisket from Whole Foods. I'll slow-roast it next week. Expensive at $40 for only 4lbs of it!!! Need some dark rum & other things first. But it should be good!! :whistling:View attachment 70015

That's a fair price to pay for an excellent cut of brisket. You can get it for 1/3 the price in the supermarket around St. Patrick's Day, so you can make crappy corned beef from crappy brisket. There is a difference in quality. Looking forward to the results!

i really, really need to try this in my smoker before the weather turns. It's September already, so I'm running out of time.

I just put it in the freezer to firm it up a little before vacuum sealing it. My hope was to be able to do it sometime this week, but I don't have all the stuff to do it with yet. Might end up doing it at a later date when I get all of the stuff. :whistling:

Last edited:
Can't see the juice coming out, but you can see it on the board. Moist, tender, but yet had the pull you want when pulling a slice apart.

We both think the pepper and salt should be cut down, maybe to 3/16 cup each at least for our taste.

A fiddly technique, but it makes great brisket!

View attachment 68441

View attachment 68442
View attachment 68443
Absolutely gorgeous. Perfect bark. And, you can see how flavor seeps into the meat With that last picture. It might be worth flying down to Florida to take a bite. Save me some just in case.

Absolutely gorgeous. Perfect bark. And, you can see how flavor seeps into the meat With that last picture. It might be worth flying down to Florida to take a bite. Save me some just in case.

Looks burnt on the outside, but that's the way that it looks. What you're after is for it to be juicy, moist & tender inside while being crusty outside. I think I got all the stuff for mine, but now there's another trip, so I'll do it when I come back. I'll just make regular BBQ sauce to make doing it a little easier. :whistling:

I just salted and peppered around a 12 pound packer after trimming fat and cutting a piece off for ropa vieja, started off as well over 16 pounds. Will use the Cook's Country snake method again. I cut down on the salt and pepper to probably a little less than 3/16 cup each this time.

Back
Top Bottom