Recipe Brown Sugar and Bourbon Ribs

cookieee

Local time
1:18 PM
This recipe was made exactly 10 years ago today. In my notes, I could not stop talking about how good they smelled cooking and how good they tasted. I also said this - "they just seem to say Autumn to me. Apple butter, apple cider, cinnamon stick"

Brown Sugar and Bourbon Ribs

BASTING SAUCE:
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup apple butter
1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 TB.apple cider
2 TB. Dijon mustard

RIBS:
1 TB. coarse kosher salt
1 TB. (packed) golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 2 1/4 lb. racks baby back pork ribs

1 large onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
6 thin rounds peeled fresh ginger
1 1/4 cups apple cider

BASTING SAUCE: Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl to blend.

RIBS: Mix first 7 ingredients in small bowl. Using small sharp knife, loosen membrane from underside of each rib rack and pull off (or score membrane). Rub 1 TB. seasoning mix into each side of each rib rack. Place ribs in large roasting pan. Cover and chill at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 325F. Lift ribs from pan. Scatter onion, cinnamon stick and ginger in pan. Pour in cider. Return ribs, meat side down, to pan; cover pan with foil. Roast ribs until meat is tender and begins to pull away from bones, about 2 hours. Uncover; cool at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill ribs until heated through and slightly charred, about 5 minutes per side. Brush generously on all sides with basting sauce. Grill until sauce becomes sticky glaze, about 3 minutes longer per side. Transfer rib racks to cutting board. Cut racks between bones into individual ribs. Arrange on platter and serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

Source: Bon Appetit mag. July 2005

Back
Top Bottom