Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: Yield: 100 servings
Source: Rockrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS

1 large red onion, diced

6 cloves minced garlic

3 tbsp olive oil

1 large apple thinly sliced

8 large very ripe diced tomatoes with the skins removed, ( or a 28-32 ounce can crushed tomatoes)

1¼ cups brown sugar

½ cup balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon ground thyme

1 tsp crushed chili paste, (or ½ tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to taste of either if you want to better control the heat)

2 tbsp smoked paprika

2 tbsp chili powder

½ whole nutmeg, finely grated ( or 1 tsp ground nutmeg)

2 tbsp fresh finely grated ginger

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Saute the onion, garlic, apples and olive oil all together in a medium sized saucepan until the onions and apples have softened.

Add the tomatoes. Saute together until the tomatoes begin break down and get mushy (or until the sauce is reduced by ¼ if using canned tomatoes), then add all of the remaining ingredients for the sauce.

Simmer all together over low heat for about a half hour or until the sauce reaches the consistency of a good barbeque sauce. I like mine a little thicker than most because it is easier to brush on whatever is being grilled.

Puree the sauce after it cools down, to make it extra smooth if you prefer. I always do.

Store in airtight container in the fridge if you are using it within a week or so or freeze it in airtight containers. Properly preserving it in mason jars will make it last all summer.

Source: Rockrecipes.com

Back
Top Bottom