Recipe Brussel Sprout cake

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
10:57 PM
I know that I’ve probably lost most of you with the title of this one! Many people would look more favourably on a cake made from toxic waste than the humble brussel sprout. Maybe the cake is named so purely for the shock factor; however, if you glance at the ingredients you’ll notice that it’s basically a carrot cake with a mischievous twist.
Sprout Cake.JPG
Ingredients:
For the cake:

2 eggs
125g caster sugar
100ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g self raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
125g carrots, grated
125g brussel sprouts, grated (You could use an electric mini-chopper)
35g walnuts, chopped
35g raisins or sultanas
25g desiccated coconut

For the frosting:
125g cream cheese (Philadelphia maybe)
250g icing sugar
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Walnut halves to decorate

How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm round tin or a 900g loaf tin. Shown made in a round tin but a loaf tin might be better.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flour, cinnamon and ginger and beat for a few more minutes.
- Fold in the grated carrot, sprouts, walnuts, raisins and coconut.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and cook for approximately 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Leave to cool, in the tin, on a wire rack.
Now make the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese until soft and then beat in the icing sugar.
- Add vanilla extract to taste.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and finish off with some walnut halves.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

You omitted the dried ground sprout, sprinkled on top. But seriously (is it possible to be serious about Brussel Sprout Cake?), I reckon I might try this, Its a confident recipe. I like that!

I generally like Brussels sprouts; cute little cabbages cooked like Julia Child did in cream and butter, but I never would have dreamed of putting them in a cake. Do you put broccoli in your fudge?

You omitted the dried ground sprout, sprinkled on top. But seriously (is it possible to be serious about Brussel Sprout Cake?), I reckon I might try this, Its a confident recipe. I like that!
A confident recipe. I like that, however this baby girl is not going to trying this anytime soon. I am fresh out of my first from scratch carrot cake and the only ' people"
"It's a confident recipe." I like the sound of that. I am fresh out of making my first carrot cake from scratch and the only ones who got excited about it were my three furry girls. I did not even offer any to my bigger dog. My husband had a few pieces simply because he eats pretty much anything sometimes.My son did not even oblige me by tasting it. My carrot cake was a fail so to attempt something similar with brussel sprouts might turn out to be an even bigger major disaster. All the best to those willing to try it.

A confident recipe. I like that, however this baby girl is not going to trying this anytime soon. I am fresh out of my first from scratch carrot cake and the only ' people"

"It's a confident recipe." I like the sound of that. I am fresh out of making my first carrot cake from scratch and the only ones who got excited about it were my three furry girls. I did not even offer any to my bigger dog. My husband had a few pieces simply because he eats pretty much anything sometimes.My son did not even oblige me by tasting it. My carrot cake was a fail so to attempt something similar with brussel sprouts might turn out to be an even bigger major disaster. All the best to those willing to try it.
See the Chocolate Broccoli Cupcake recipe!!

So what went wrong with your carrot cake?

I love carrot cake but don't think this is one I will try, It does sound good and if some one makes one and wants to send me a slice I would be happy to report on how good it taste.

So what went wrong with your carrot cake?
I went trying to find the recipe I used and adjusted. Pinterest confuses me sometimes and I did not pin this particular recipe. What I will say is that I adjusted the quantity and used half of the ingredients called for.Further, it was late night and I decided I would not wake up the entire house so I did all the beating by hand which I figured was not a big deal. In the end the cake was to my mind too tough and had that slight uncooked line at the bottom. I used a glass pan and I made the adjustment of temperature a little late I must confess. The dogs loved it so I guess, it was not a total disaster. I think I have found another recipe that seems 'fool'proof.
She's not saying.
She said.:bravo:

Back
Top Bottom