Recipe Brussel Sprout cake

I am a big fan of brussel sprouts but I never thought of cooking them up in a cake before. It looks really good though. I just might have to give this recipe a try. I am always looking for something different to try and this might just be it!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

I know that I’ve probably lost most of you with the title of this one! Many people would look more favourably on a cake made from toxic waste than the humble brussel sprout. Maybe the cake is named so purely for the shock factor; however, if you glance at the ingredients you’ll notice that it’s basically a carrot cake with a mischievous twist.
Ingredients:
For the cake:

2 eggs
125g caster sugar
100ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g self raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
125g carrots, grated
125g brussel sprouts, grated (You could use an electric mini-chopper)
35g walnuts, chopped
35g raisins or sultanas
25g desiccated coconut

For the frosting:
125g cream cheese (Philadelphia maybe)
250g icing sugar
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Walnut halves to decorate

How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm round tin or a 900g loaf tin. Shown made in a round tin but a loaf tin might be better.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the flour, cinnamon and ginger and beat for a few more minutes.
- Fold in the grated carrot, sprouts, walnuts, raisins and coconut.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and cook for approximately 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
- Leave to cool, in the tin, on a wire rack.
Now make the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese until soft and then beat in the icing sugar.
- Add vanilla extract to taste.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the cake and finish off with some walnut halves.
- Bask in glory at the wonderful thing you have made.
- Eat.

Maybe time to change your avatar to a picture of Liz smith from vicar of dibley
For those who don't know a quick c+p
Letitia Cropley was a Parish Council member and the Dibley church organist. Geraldine once referred to her as "The Queen of Cordon Bleurgh", and David Horton called her "The Dibley Poisoner". She was the creator of such "delicacies" as "Bread and butter pudding surprise" (a recipe for which she was breeding snails), Marmite cake (which she served for Frank's birthday), orange cake with Branston Pickle icing (which she served at the cake stall at the Dibley autumn fayre), parsnip brownies, plain pancakes "with just a hint of liver," and chocolate spread sandwiches made with cod roe.

I am just wondering what is the taste of this cake with brussel sprouts. But if the other ingredients consists of walnuts, raisins and desiccated coconut I am sure it taste good! And for sure that it is a healthy kind of cake.

Back
Top Bottom