Bucket List Recipes

You could try this, from colonial America expert chef Walter Staib:

A Taste Of History | Beef Olives
I grew up with olives as well and still love them. It consists of thin slice of beef wrapped around a small filling of breadcrumbs and sage and onion stuffing. These are cheap as chips growing up, another of my faves growing up. Now talking of it I need to buy some. A toothpick holds it together.

Russ

Going to be hard to get lobster roe. It's illegal in Florida to take females with eggs and I know for a fact it's the same in a lot of, if not all, other states.

With that said, when you catch/buy a lot of lobster, you occasionally come across a female with internal eggs. We did a few times when we were diving nearly every weekend during lobster season. Neither of us remembers what we did with it though.

Going to be hard to get lobster roe. It's illegal in Florida to take females with eggs and I know for a fact it's the same in a lot of, if not all, other states.

With that said, when you catch/buy a lot of lobster, you occasionally come across a female with internal eggs. We did a few times when we were diving nearly every weekend during lobster season. Neither of us remembers what we did with it though.
We get Nova Scotia lobsters here in Ontario, and not a problem, just need to ask my fish monger for females. Quite common and easy to get a female at our local as well.

We get Nova Scotia lobsters here in Ontario, and not a problem, just need to ask my fish monger for females. Quite common and easy to get a female at our local as well.
It's illegal in Nova Scotia to keep egg-bearing females. In fact, like some northern states, they also have to be marked by notching and with just a quick look it's also illegal to keep a notched female even without eggs. So, unless you get extremely lucky to get an unmarked female with internal eggs, going to be hard.

To put things in perspective, we would catch anywhere from 200-400 lobster by hand in season during our best years and, at most, 2 internal egg bearing females a year, sometimes none.

SOME Bucket List Recipes I plan to make. Hopefully nearly all this year.

Pasta Carbonara (Italian style)
Greek Spanakopita
Melomakaroma - Greek Christmas cookies with chocolate and almonds - scheduled for next December.
Banh Boc Loc Tran - Vietnamese Tapioca Shrimp and Pork Dumplings. (I have tried this once, and they tasted fine, but the dumplings did not remotely work. Need to repeat in order to post.)
Japanese Takoyaki - Octopus balls.
Scottish Forfar Bridies.
Ongoing Water Kefir. (I have started this, but need to fine-tune.)

Ummm.... I am also planning on Hungarian Kakashere Pörkölt, which will hopefully appear early April 2022. (You will have to look that one up...)

It's illegal in Nova Scotia to keep egg-bearing females. In fact, like some northern states, they also have to be marked by notching and it's also illegal to keep a notched female even without eggs. So, unless you get extremely lucky to get an unmarked female with internal eggs, going to be hard.

To put things in perspective, we would catch anywhere from 200-400 lobster by hand in season during our best years and, at most, 2 internal egg bearing females a year, sometimes none.
It may be illegal, but a lot of lobsters are harvested that still have eggs intact (ie egg-bearing females) and you won't know until it is too late for those to be returned to the ocean. These females that we have seen in past years were not yet notched, and didn't have enough eggs at that point to be marked as fertile. These had already been delivered to supermarkets... and well, they can't be transported back.

I do agree with the restrictions, btw.

It may be illegal, but a lot of lobsters are harvested that still have eggs intact (ie egg-bearing females) and you won't know until it is too late for those to be returned to the ocean. These females that we have seen in past years were not yet notched, and didn't have enough eggs at that point to be marked as fertile. These had already been delivered to supermarkets... and well, they can't be transported back.

I do agree with the restrictions, btw.
The fisherman are supposed to immediately return egg bearing females when they pull the traps up and see the eggs. So, they are harvesting illegally. The egg bearing females should NEVER be more than a few minutes out of the water. If egg bearing females are making it to the grocery, then the store should be reported to Fish and Game so the source can be traced back.

When lobster are harvested, it is done by hand, as they have to be immediately measured for legal size and inspected for eggs. BTW, it's easy to tell females from males with just a quick look if you know what you are doing, even when females don't have eggs. Lobster harvesting is not an entirely automated process. The lobster MUST have human hands on them during the actual harvesting.

Last edited:
It's illegal in Nova Scotia to keep egg-bearing females. In fact, like some northern states, they also have to be marked by notching and with just a quick look it's also illegal to keep a notched female even without eggs. So, unless you get extremely lucky to get an unmarked female with internal eggs, going to be hard.

That's news to me, Last year in the restaurant I worked there were quite a few egg bearing lobsters, actually a lot. When we say Nova Scotia it's kind of a generic term and takes in the Atlantic provinces.

I did a little look and if females are "berried" with dark coloured eggs on their underside, they must be thrown back. Females with red roe internally aren't. That threw me for a loop for sure. I remember once we processed 50 lobsters with a good 60% of them female with roe from probably the most respected fish monger in Toronto.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prin...g-101-everything-you-wanted-to-know-1.6023324

thanks, I learned something new today. cheers :okay:

Was it a tapioca dough? I have never seen tapioca dumpling wrappers sold anywhere. I think these are too thin for making these up in advance.

No, they are flour based like the dough recipe. I do have a dumpling cookbook, Dumplings All Day Wong or something like that by Lee Ann Wong, 1 of the Top Chef contestants. I know there is a rice flour dough recipe in there, maybe a tapioca one too. I can look and take a photo for you via PM if there is if you want.

Last edited:
That's news to me, Last year in the restaurant I worked there were quite a few egg bearing lobsters, actually a lot. When we say Nova Scotia it's kind of a generic term and takes in the Atlantic provinces.

I did a little look and if females are "berried" with dark coloured eggs on their underside, they must be thrown back. Females with red roe internally aren't. That threw me for a loop for sure. I remember once we processed 50 lobsters with a good 60% of them female with roe from probably the most respected fish monger in Toronto.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prin...g-101-everything-you-wanted-to-know-1.6023324
That's sad. I actually looked at the government site.

And of course internal isn't illegal, you can't see them until you've already killed the lobster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom