Recipe Buckwheat tamari and butternut squash

Amateur1

Local time
8:17 AM
I tried to combine a deliciously Ella recipe with buckwheat groats, tamari sauce and tahini with a butternut squash and onion that I saw in Wendy Polisi's quinoa recipe. Since I you're all familiar with my quinoa recipes, I thought I would use buckwheat instead. It's also a complete protein. I think the recipe is OK, but I made some mistakes along the way.
Please let me know your thoughts.
I think I wasted the tamari adding it before the recipe had cooked.
I also think I should have added the tahini with the salt etc.

Ingredients
1 very large squash I saw in the shop
375g buckwheat
6 tbsp tamari sauce
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp tahini
1 onion
2 peppers
2 tsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tsp sage (I ran out)

Pre-heat oven to 190c
Cut up squash and steam half at a time (too big to all go in at once)
Whilst it's steaming put buckwheat in a pan with 1 tbsp tamari.
Once it's finished put in baking tray and add 2 tbsp of tamari.
Take first lot of squash out the steamer and mash it or cut it as desired.
Put second lot of squash in steamer.
Take it out steamer and mash or cut.
Put the rest of the squash plus the diced onion and diced peppers into the baking tray with the buckwheat.
Add olive oil, tahini, thyme, rosemary, sage to the baking tray and stir.
Put in the oven.
Take out the oven
Add salt, pepper and 3 tbsp of tamari and stir.
Apportion as necessary then freeze when cool.

I can´t comment on the flavour, but I can make a few observations on the recipe as such.
In order for others to be able to use the recipe, it´s important to be specific on weight and size. "A very large squash" could be anything from 1 kg to 5 or 10 kgs - and that will definitely affect the other ingredients. Did you peel the squash? Did you remove the seeds? Is it better mashed or cubed?
Again, an onion and 2 peppers could be small, medium or large. 100 gms of onion might be insufficent for the rest of the ingredients. 250 gms might be too much. Are you talking bell peppers or long peppers? There´s a big difference in flavour and texture.
375 gms buckwheat - that makes a pretty large portion when mixed with the other ingredients, so it would be an idea to tell us how many servings the recipe would provide.
I don´t see the point of adding the tamari in three stages - what´s the benefit? Why not just add it all at once?
Put in the oven/take out of the oven - how long? At what temperature? 2 hours at 120ºC? 20 minutes at 200ºC?
Hope this helps.

I'd say the squash was 2-3kg. I did not peel it. I steamed it for 20 minutes to soften it then tried mashing it. Mashing didn't work, so I cut it into smaller chunks. I used a medium onion and 2 bell peppers.
I agree about adding the tamari at once. Would you recommend adding it at the beginning, middle or end to get the maximum flavour from it?
I put it in at 190c. Since the baking tray with the stuff was so heavy, I removed the tray and put it at the bottom of my top oven (never used the bottom oven). I tried it after 35 minutes then let it go another 10 minutes. I'm not sure if I added the spices after the 35 minutes or right at the end.
It's done about 12 portions. I didn't know how many it would make.
I did not steam the onion or peppers, so the only heat to which they were exposed was in the oven. I diced them before mixing them with the squash and buckwheat.

I'm not asking so much about the ingredients. I'm asking what I could have done better in using them given the constraints I faced. For example my steamer and mashing bowl could only fit half of the squash.

Last edited:
I took some out of the freezer, thawed it for about 2 hours and put it in the microwave. Turned out quite nice.

One thing I noticed was that it was pleasantly sweet. This was fine, but it tells me that the tamari source probably evaporated, so I lost its flavour. Next time, I'll add it at the end.

Back
Top Bottom