Kitchen witch
Local time
6:53 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
I credit Burt Blank for this post. :laugh:

What you need:
1 whole baking tray sized sheet puff pastry
1 350 g jar mince meat (you know, the fruity type)
Powdered sugar & powdered aniseed (mixed)
Beaten egg in a cup
Bad folding skills

1) Heat the oven to 200 celcius upper and lower heat. Put your puff pastry sheet on baking paper on a baking tray.
2) Spread the mince meat evenly over the puff pastry.
3) Make sure you have the long side of the roll towards you, and roll up the pastry. Cut into 10 or 12 rolls with a sharp knife.
4) Lay the rolls on their sides on the baking tray and brush with the egg for shine
5) Bake for 20-25 minutes until the caramel leaking out of the rolls is black and the pastries are golden.
6) Remove rolls from your baking tray with a tong (leave burned caramel) and put on a plate to dust them with the sugar/aniseseed mixture
7) Serve with custard if you so desire

I agree. How easy is it to get UK style mincemeat (fruity) in the US?
If you mean the stuff that's apples and spices and no actual meat, I can get that at Kroger, but just one brand, Crosse & Blackwell.

It's also possible to get the with-meat mincemeat, but you'd have to go to a specialty shop.

I agree. How easy is it to get UK style mincemeat (fruity) in the US?
I can get this in a jar at specialty markets. It also looks possible to make it if I want to gather all the ingredients. It's interesting that mincemeat did traditionally contain meat (hence the name); I am trying to find a consistent history of why the meat part is generally removed, but the name was retained.

I can get this in a jar at specialty markets. It also looks possible to make it if I want to gather all the ingredients. It's interesting that mincemeat did traditionally contain meat (hence the name); I am trying to find a consistent history of why the meat part is generally removed, but the name was retained.
This may interest you.
The History of Mince Pies - Walker's

Interesting. I like this bit:

It is still a keen tradition that children leave out mince pies for Father Christmas by the fireplace, often with a glass of whisky or brandy
I like this tradition much better than the milk and cookies on this side of the pond!

Interesting. I like this bit:

It is still a keen tradition that children leave out mince pies for Father Christmas by the fireplace, often with a glass of whisky or brandy
I like this tradition much better than the milk and cookies on this side of the pond!

We leave water & carrots for the horse of st Nicholas.

Guess that's where we got our cheap reputation :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom