1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp fresh milk or yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup butter toffee pieces (optional)

Instructions

Paper bag method. If you have a heavy lunch-size paper bag, fold down the sides in 1-1/2 inch to 2-inch folds until the bag is about 3-1/2 to 4 inches tall. Crimp and crease corners. If paper bag is lightweight, use double bags. I lined mine with foil because I thought it would leak, but the batter was so thick I don't think it needs to be lined. The size is the bag you would get at McDonald's or Burger King when you get 1 burger and an order of fries.

Preheat oven to 375°F

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together well. Set aside.

Beat the butter and sugar until well combined or pale yellow in color. It's easier and faster to do this with a hand mixer. Add in the first egg. Beat well until creamy. Scrape down the sides for even mixing. Repeat with the other egg. Add in the vanilla extract and mix well. Gently fold in the flour mixture and mix well. Add in the milk/yogurt and mix.

Pour the batter into the bag. Smooth top. Sprinkle with toffee chips. Bake until golden brown and cooked, about 25-30 minutes. Use a cake tester to test if it's done. Remove it from the oven and let cool on the wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully tear/cut the bag and peel off. Cut cake into pieces and serve warm.

Last edited:
Impressive! Do you think its an advantage to use the en papillote method for cake? I made some little cakes from an old recipe 'en papillote' (recipe to follow). I'm not sure how they were supposed to come out but they were more like biscuits (cookies in US). Your cake looks lovely and moist.

What are the butter toffee pieces? Are they something you can buy?

It was a tad bit dry because I cooked it a little bit too long. It wasn't quite done when I checked it the first time and I let it go too long without checking again. With correct cooking time, it would be very moist. I also cooked it in the toaster oven and it got a bit too brown on the 1 side as you can see. Probably would have done better in a bigger oven or I could have been a bit smarter and tented it with foil when I checked it the first time. Duh! The texture is similar to a pound cake.

Yes, they are with the chocolate chips for cooking, or you could just break up any toffee/chocolate bar candy, like a Heath Bar (don't know if you have those there).

When I started reading your post, I thought, "Why does she need a bag?" But, it makes sense. I assume the paper keeps the steam in - as it does in en papillote savory recipes - which I expect would make it moister (I've certainly overcooked my share of baked goods that I weren't done the first time I checked them). I love that the result is like a pound cake.

Actually, it wasn't covered so didn't keep steam in. It was basically a disposable cheap cooking vessel. I tried it for the en papillote challenge since @morning glory mentioned she had read about cakes cooked that way.

Actually, it wasn't covered so didn't keep steam in. It was basically a disposable cheap cooking vessel. I tried it for the en papillote challenge since @morning glory mentioned she had read about cakes cooked that way.

I think @The Late Night Gourmet means its in a sealed bag - so covered? If not I think its not technically en papillote...

Back
Top Bottom