Recipe Butter Croissants

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:08 AM
I don't very often post recipes from other people. But having tried for many years to make croissants (with limited success), I eventually tried this recipe from celebrity baker Paul Hollywood. I've made croissants several times using this recipe and it always works. I follow it to the letter! Well - that is apart from the fact I don't have a mixer so I mix the dough by hand. This is how they turned out:

Ingredients
500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
10g salt, plus a pinch for the egg wash
80g caster sugar
10g instant yeast
300ml cool water
300g chilled unsalted butter, preferably a good-quality Normandy butter
1 medium egg to glaze

Method
1. Put the flour into a bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the salt and sugar to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other. Add the water and mix on a slow speed for 2 minutes, then on a medium speed for 6 minutes. The dough should be fairly stiff.

2. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball. Dust with flour, put into a clean plastic bag and chill in the fridge for an hour.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough to a rectangle, about 60 x 20cm; it should be about 1cm thick. Flatten the butter to a rectangle, about 40 x 19cm, by bashing it with a rolling pin. Put the butter on the dough so that it covers the bottom two-thirds of the dough. Make sure that it is positioned neatly and comes almost to the edges.

4. Fold the exposed dough at the top down over one-third of the butter. Now gently cut off the exposed bit of butter, without going through the dough, and put it on the top of the dough you have just folded down. Fold the bottom half of the dough up. You will now have a sandwich of two layers of butter and three of dough. Pinch the edges lightly to seal in the butter. Put the dough back in the plastic bag and chill in the fridge for an hour to harden the butter.

5. Take the dough out of the bag and put it on the lightly floured work surface with a short end towards you. Roll into a rectangle, about 60 x 20cm, as before. This time fold up one-third of the dough and then fold the top third down on top to make a neat square to make a neat square. This is called a single turn. Put the dough back into the plastic bag and chill for another hour. Repeat this stage twice more, putting the dough back into the fridge for an hour between turns.

6. Your dough now needs to be left in the fridge for 8 hours, or overnight, to rest and rise slightly.

7. When you are ready to shape the croissants, line 2 or 3 baking trays with baking parchment or silicone paper.

8. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to a rectangle, a little more than 42cm long and 30cm wide; it should be about 7mm thick. Trim the edges to neaten them.

9. Cut the rectangle lengthways into 2 strips, then cut triangles along the length of each strip; these should be 12cm wide at the base and about 15cm high (from the middle of the base to the tip). Once you have cut the first triangle, you can use it as a template for the rest. You should get 6 triangles from each strip.

10. Before rolling, hold down the wide base of the triangle and gently tug the opposite thin end to cause a slight tension in the dough. Now starting at the thick end of the triangle, roll up into a croissant. You will have 12 medium-sized croissants. For a traditional crescent shape, turn the ends in towards each other slightly.

11. Put the croissants on the prepared baking trays, leaving space in between them to expand; allow 4 – 6 per tray. Put each tray inside a clean plastic bag and leave the croissants to rise at cool room temperature (18 – 24°C) until at least doubled in size. This should take about 2 hours.

12. Heat your oven to 200°C.

13. Lightly whisk the egg with a pinch of salt to make an egg wash. Brush the top and sides of the croissants with the eggwash. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Eat warm.

Croissants - Paul Hollywood

Last edited:
I noticed the yeast. I have a feeling this is a dough similar to what a high end resort in Lake Lure, North Carolina, used to make their croissants back about 30 years ago. They were so, so good, I could have made a meal of just them and I still remember them to this day, warm, flaky but yeasty, served with a dish of soft whipped butter. I didn't want to share. The picture reminded me of them.

I wonder if you could put a piece of semisweet or dark chocolate and make a breakfast (or dessert) croissant?

I noticed the yeast. I have a feeling this is a dough similar to what a high end resort in Lake Lure, North Carolina, used to make their croissants back about 30 years ago. They were so, so good, I could have made a meal of just them and I still remember them to this day, warm, flaky but yeasty, served with a dish of soft whipped butter. I didn't want to share. The picture reminded me of them.

I wonder if you could put a piece of semisweet or dark chocolate and make a breakfast (or dessert) croissant?

Pain au Chocolat! I've eaten those in France. Usually the chocolate 'stick' is encased in a roll of yeasted croissant dough so that it looks more like a sausage roll.

We stayed in monmartre that had a cafe across from us. We had the best brekkys with ham and cheese croissants. I've never done it here though. Just not the same.

Russ

Those look lovely, though a lot of work!

I do love a good croissant and I don't think I've ever had a really good one outside France. Though actually even in France there is a huge variation - there's nothing more disappointing than getting up early and cycling to the boulangerie only for the croissants to be sub-par :cry:

I'm not a fan of chocolate or sweet things in general at breakfast time so I usually pass on the pain au chocolat (or chocolatine if you're in the south west) and go for the plain croissant - if its a good one then you don't even need any butter with it.

I made the dough earlier this morning and just got finished sandwiching the butter in. The dough smelled wonderful when I opened the bag!

I did do something slightly different though, prepped the butter the way I learned to make puff pastry. Yesterday, softened it. Marked parchment paper on the wrong side in the dimensions noted above, flipped it over, spread the butter with an offset spatula in the rectangle, then placed another piece of parchment on top, placed flat in fridge and let it harden overnight. It made it much easier to just peel the top parchment off, flip the slab of butter on the dough in the center, peel off the bottom parchment, then repeat with the other slab after folding 1 end of the dough over.

I made the dough earlier this morning and just got finished sandwiching the butter in. The dough smelled wonderful when I opened the bag!

I did do something slightly different though, prepped the butter the way I learned to make puff pastry. Yesterday, softened it. Marked parchment paper on the wrong side in the dimensions noted above, flipped it over, spread the butter with an offset spatula in the rectangle, then placed another piece of parchment on top, placed flat in fridge and let it harden overnight. It made it much easier to just peel the top parchment off, flip the slab of butter on the dough in the center, peel off the bottom parchment, then repeat with the other slab after folding 1 end of the dough over.

That should work fine - a good tip.

Back
Top Bottom