Recipe Cajun Style Tuna Salad

How are you going to use the fresh/frozen tuna? Canned tuna is cooked. Will you cook your tuna, or use it raw -- or perhaps par cook it?

With raw tuna and capers, I suspect it is going to taste considerably different than the tuna salad I made. I'm thinking the texture will be a lot different, too. Will you be adding something to replace the "crunch" of celery? Perhaps some bell pepper, the third ingredient in the Cajun Trinity?

Not a criticism. Just sayin' that raw tuna and capers are not insignificant substitutions. It will be interesting to hear how it works out. :scratchhead:Watcha' gonna' call your tuna salad?

CD
I had no intention of reproducing the taste of your recipe. I just dislike celery and like the idea of adding some heat to a tuna salad. I rarely cook out of cans so I never make tuna salad. I view recipes as suggestions and inspiration. Yours inspired me. I'm just going to invent something with tuna and heat and some flavor ingredients and mayo.

I will boil the fish with some salt and lemon juice in the pot and pull it apart when cooked. I like the bell pepper suggestion. It is a pantry item here. Consider it done. I promise to use it on ciabatta as you have done. That is also a pantry item here. My wife is a fan of fish sandwiches so I'll use it that way as well. I think cod would work well in this sort of dish also.

I may fool around with an egg salad with some heat as well. Maybe huevos rancheros salad on toasted ciabatta. Something like that. Salsa picante works pretty well with eggs. I use it in omelettes often.

Last edited:
I had no intention of reproducing the taste of your recipe. I just dislike celery and like the idea of adding some heat to a tuna salad. I rarely cook out of cans so I never make tuna salad. I view recipes as suggestions and inspiration. Yours inspired me. I'm just going to invent something with tuna and heat and some flavor ingredients and mayo.

I will boil the fish with some salt and lemon juice in the pot and pull it apart when cooked. I like the bell pepper suggestion. It is a pantry item here. Consider it done. I promise to use it on ciabatta as you have done. That is also a pantry item here. My wife is a fan of fish sandwiches so I'll use it that way as well. I think cod would work well in this sort of dish also.

I may fool around with an egg salad with some heat as well. Maybe huevos rancheros salad on toasted ciabatta. Something like that. Salsa picante works pretty well with eggs. I use it in omelettes often.

Like I said, not a criticism, I was just a bit confused. I do hope you will post your recipe, so I know WTF you did. :laugh:

If you use bell pepper, you will still have two of the three elements of The Trinity. I went back and forth on whether to use bell pepper and cayenne pepper in mine. As the title says, it is a "Cajun Style" tuna salad -- it is not an actual Cajun recipe, as far as I know. Cooking and shredding the fresh/frozen tuna is a good call, IMO.

I didn't use ciabatta to serve mine. I used some sliced and toasted baguette, but that was just for the photo. I needed to take a picture that would show the tuna salad. It makes a good sandwich, and even a dip for some tortilla chips.

BTW, I thought of doing an egg salad, or as the Brits call it, egg mayonnaise. I like tuna salad better.

CD

Back
Top Bottom