Can anyone help with Keto advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healthhoop

Local time
10:51 PM
Hi all,

Absolutely love this forum! I need you help if possible, I got this free keto recipe ebook and the recipes are really good, but I just want to make sure they are actually going to help me? Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Keto, Atkins and other Diets fall into that fallacious reasoning category called "fad diets." These usually result in some quick weight loss of perhaps around 20 pounds, usually all water. And then later, the people who try them gain back the weight and more because the body reacts to a sort of starvation that it seeks to counter by storing up more fats than ever. That's how the fad diets fail. It's almost better to avoid dieting all together, or so it would seem.

The best and most successful diets are by the numbers, call them 'Numbers Diets', the numbers being calorie counts. The proper name then would be Calorie Count Diets.

Calories are constantly being burned in the human body, even when resting. Exercise burns more calories, of course. Calories are added by the foods and beverages the body takes in. In most people, the at rest weight will remain constant, despite the intakes and burns. This is because the body regulates its weight.

When the body experiences starvation, it reacts by adjusting that at rest weight - upwards.

What that indicates is that weight loss should not even be attempted to be an 'as much as can be done' race. It must be subtle and slow paced, but steadily downward. This ensures that the body is not shocked by what it senses as starvation. This is the best advice for weight loss.

How does one do Calorie Count regulation?

First, it doesn't really matter what you eat. What matters is the adjustment in calories burned and calories taken in. Therefore, you can eat from all the food groups and get a healthy intake.

Second, you need to calculate your 'at rest' normal Calorie Burn. This is the magic number of Calories that your body burns when it is doing nothing special in terms of additional exertion. You can look into things like Body Mass Index (BMI) on your own, but tables exist for Adults and Children based on Age, Height and current Weight.

Third, you need to make adjustments. These are planned adjustments and not just random. You increase your Calorie Burn with more exercise and decrease you Calorie Intake by choosing the foods and amounts that you eat. You need to keep Calorie Logs, both for your regulation and references for the Calories in the foods you eat.

IMPORTANT! Remember not to make it a race, pitting yourself against some overly ambitious attempt to loose large amounts of weight quickly. Don't weight yourself daily. Do it monthly so that you can see a difference, but aren't in a frenetic race to loose large amounts of weight. Do NOT shock your body in a way that it will sense starvation. Make your weight loss gradual and slow, but sure.

It is important to understand that a successful diet, by the numbers, requires some behavioral changes. Habits need to be broken. Some of those eating habits are deep rooted psychologically. But none-the-less, the habits need to be modified to be successful. It may be necessary to be continuous in your monitoring of your Calorie adjustments, for a long time - years.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I agree with flyinglentris. Diets generally don't work because, psychologically, we feel *deprived* when we cannot have something. It is much easier and long-term to adjust our eating habits that don't completely exclude items. For instance, I'm not a vegetarian but I will usually eat salads every day and have fish or poultry over beef or pork. I will have foods that are usually no-nos once or twice per month. My mind can adjust to this because I don't feel like I'm "missing out" on anything. In fairness, I've only gained weight as my arthritis has increased and leaves me unable to walk or exercise.

I recently borrowed about 10 Keto (and others) cookbooks from my local library. I just scanned the recipes that were of interest and will try them out. I don't believe that we can force ourselves to eat foods we don't like regardless of their purported benefits. It's easier to eat foods we enjoy and adapt them in ways to fit our weight loss goals. For instance, I don't absolutely love tomatoes so it's going to be hard for me to go on the cabbage soup diet. I'll eat it but I'll hate every minute of it. It will feel like punishment. Instead, I just find recipes that include cabbage and other foods I like. It's easier to swallow (pun intended).

Generally, regardless of what plan you decide upon, slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck in whatever goals you have in considering Keto.

IMPORTANT! Remember not to make it a race, pitting yourself against some overly ambitious attempt to loose large amounts of weight quickly. Don't weight yourself daily. Do it monthly so that you can see a difference, but aren't in a frenetic race to loose large amounts of weight. Do NOT shock your body in a way that it will sense starvation. Make your weight loss gradual and slow, but sure.

The OP didn't specify whether the diet was for weight loss.

In fairness, I've only gained weight as my arthritis has increased and leaves me unable to walk or exercise.

As people advance in age, it is quite common for them to gain weight. The reason for this is certainly not understood by many.

They continue to maintain the same eating habits, but their level of Calorie Burn drops off as they become less physically active. The body makes an adjustment by gaining weight - and this all ties in, by the numbers.

As people advance in age, it is quite common for them to gain weight. The reason for this is certainly not understood by many.

They continue to maintain the same eating habits, but their level of Calorie Burn drops off as they become less physically active. The body makes an adjustment by gaining weight - and this all ties in, by the numbers.

The woman that lives next door to me is in her late 20s. She doesn't know how laxatives work. She has come crying to my door a few times because she's been in severe pain. I've helped her out but it gets exhausting repeating myself. I also know someone that thinks black and brown women produce chocolate breast milk. I really wish I could tell you that I'm joking. I'm not.

Point being, I am no longer shocked about what people don't know about the basics of the human body. ;-0

As I have said before, my cancer treatment caused me to put on 50+ kgs. The good news after I was cancer free. The bad news was I developed type 2 Diabetes and my mobility was affected horribly.
I cut out carbs. If you can cook the variety of meals we prepared were excellent and filling. I lost 53 kg in nine months. I still cook thing like cauliflower fried rice and Squash spaghetti. The first and according to Oxford Uni toughest covid lock down in the world here, caused me to put on 7 kg. In June I went back on the diet and lost that weight. I don't find it hard and love my food.
Keto cauliflower cheese. Just heat gently heavy cream and add as much cheese as you like, pour over the cooked florets and bake. This is one of my faves Porchetta with cauliflower cheese and cream cheese stuffed peppers. I never felt deprived.
1607243420758.png

Keto, Atkins and other Diets fall into that fallacious reasoning category called "fad diets." These usually result in some quick weight loss of perhaps around 20 pounds, usually all water. And then later, the people who try them gain back the weight and more because the body reacts to a sort of starvation that it seeks to counter by storing up more fats than ever. That's how the fad diets fail. It's almost better to avoid dieting all together, or so it would seem.

The best and most successful diets are by the numbers, call them 'Numbers Diets', the numbers being calorie counts. The proper name then would be Calorie Count Diets.

Calories are constantly being burned in the human body, even when resting. Exercise burns more calories, of course. Calories are added by the foods and beverages the body takes in. In most people, the at rest weight will remain constant, despite the intakes and burns. This is because the body regulates its weight.

When the body experiences starvation, it reacts by adjusting that at rest weight - upwards.

What that indicates is that weight loss should not even be attempted to be an 'as much as can be done' race. It must be subtle and slow paced, but steadily downward. This ensures that the body is not shocked by what it senses as starvation. This is the best advice for weight loss.

How does one do Calorie Count regulation?

First, it doesn't really matter what you eat. What matters is the adjustment in calories burned and calories taken in. Therefore, you can eat from all the food groups and get a healthy intake.

Second, you need to calculate your 'at rest' normal Calorie Burn. This is the magic number of Calories that your body burns when it is doing nothing special in terms of additional exertion. You can look into things like Body Mass Index (BMI) on your own, but tables exist for Adults and Children based on Age, Height and current Weight.

Third, you need to make adjustments. These are planned adjustments and not just random. You increase your Calorie Burn with more exercise and decrease you Calorie Intake by choosing the foods and amounts that you eat. You need to keep Calorie Logs, both for your regulation and references for the Calories in the foods you eat.

It is important to understand that a successful diet, by the numbers, requires some behavioral changes. Habits need to be broken. Some of those eating habits are deep rooted psychologically. But none-the-less, the habits need to be modified to be successful. It may be necessary to be continuous in your monitoring of your Calorie adjustments, for a long time - years.

Good Luck!
Just came across this post and no disrespect but there is quite a bit of misinformation here. Just for starters you mention when dieting with keto, atkins et al that the body reacts by putting on more fat because of starvation mode. First of all nobody gains weight/fat by eating less.

Actual "starvation mode" is a survival mechanism that humans have adapted sometimes called adaptive thermogenesis where the body reduces it's resting metabolic rate. But starvation mode in diets where the belief that people gain weight/fat just doesn't exist. Basically the laws of thermodynamics dictates that if your consuming less calories then you require you will lose weight, no exceptions. If you look at people from the Biggest Losers you'll find that their metabolic rate was reduced by 40% and when they went back to eating normally they put on more weight than before they began. The adaptive mechanism is to reduce metabolic rate so you require less calories in times of calorie deprivation. This is why an aggressive approach to weight loss should be supervised with a coach that understands nutrition and hopefully it won't be Jillian Michaels. Cheers.

The second area I bolded is false. Calorie counting is no better or worse than most "diets" Calorie counting has about a 95% failure rate over the long haul, just like most diet do. People believe they can eat pretty much anything they want and then count calories, and then their golden. No such luck.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Absolutely love this forum! I need you help if possible, I got this free keto recipe ebook and the recipes are really good, but I just want to make sure they are actually going to help me? Can anyone help?

Thank you!

View attachment 52009
Hi. What are your goals? Is it for weight loss? It would help you lose weight. I would suggest try couple of recipes and see if it is something for you. You would be able to twitch some of your favourite recipes to make it keto friendly.

Mod.comment. Please note the original poster has not been seen here since that one forst post. For that reason I've moved a number of newer posts to a new thread. I'm going to close this thread - to continue the keto discussion please go to the new thread here:

Keto diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom