Makes about 20 servings

Ingredients
4 large navel oranges or 5 small
2 cups water
1 ½ cups granulated sugar divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt

Directions
Trim the tops and bottoms of the oranges. Then use a vegetables peeler to peel the oranges from top to bottom, into 2-4 inch segments. Press the peeler firmly against the orange to collect a nice even layer of peel. Then cut the wide strips into ¼ inch thin strips.

Place the orange peel segments into a medium saucepot. Set over medium to medium-low heat. Add the water, 1 cup of sugar, and the salt. Bring to a simmer. Once simmering, set the timer and simmer approximately 20 minutes, or until the peels look soft, but still retain their vibrant color. (You don’t want them to turn brown, so set the stove just hot enough to hold the simmer.)

Meanwhile, place the remaining ½ cup sugar in a bowl and set aside. Set out a drying rack and place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper under it.

Once the orange peels have simmered 20 minutes, stir in the vanilla extract. Turn off the heat and let the peels rest in the sugar syrup for 5 minutes.

Use tongs to move the orange peels to the cooling rack. Allow the orange peels to rest at least 15 minutes to dry and cool. Then toss them in the sugar to coat. Let the peels dry completely at room temperature. Then store in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Recipe courtesy of aspicyperspective.com

Do you think I could use mandarins for this? I know that navel oranges have a much thicker peel...

Do you think I could use mandarins for this? I know that navel oranges have a much thicker peel...
I'm not sure about that, but for me, I'd think the mandarins are too small, as in, they'd be difficult to hold while trying to peel off a thin layer of skin.

I also don't know how thick/thin the non-pithy part of the skin is on a mandarin. A straight peeler worked perfectly on the bigger oranges, removing mainly just the orange-colored part of the peel, with just a little bit of the white, just enough to give it a hint of bitterness, which is the best part, or at least the bit that makes the sugary stuff work.

I know, of course, that you can use mandarins for zest, so I'm sure you could use them for this, I'm just speaking more about how much easier I think it would be with bigger oranges. Plus, you'll get much longer strips, which will look nice.

Now that it's done, I wish I'd added a lemon in there. I have lemons in the fridge, they were right there. 🤦‍♂️

That´s a good recipe!
Just a note for JAS_OH1.
In all the 15 or so years I spent fiddling around in my own Conserves kitchen, I guess I tried everything with every fruit available. Orange peel, grapefruit peel, lemon and lime peel are pretty straight forward to remove; you can even remove the excess white pith with a sharp knife.
Mandarin and clementine peel, however, are very hard to remove; too soft. I´m not saying you cant do it, but it´s going to be very hard work. I love the idea, but just saying.

So far it's gone into a couple of old fashioneds, pancakes, and cookie dough, and grand marnier coffees... :whistling:
So TR, do you keep it in a jar in the `fridge and then break it out when the need arises?
Uh, I could see that as a sub for Maple Syrup on Pancakes and Waffles 😋
How so in Cookie Dough though?
Grand Marnier look alike? Orange Syrup and Whiskey? (not a big drinker)

So TR, do you keep it in a jar in the `fridge and then break it out when the need arises?
Yes:

How so in Cookie Dough though
Making cookies with the orange peel in it (the original reason I made the peel) and the dough was a little dry, so I added orange syrup to it and it all came together. Baking those up tomorrow.
Orange Syrup and Whiskey?
Yes, the old fashioneds we had yesterday used orange syrup in place of the usual sugar.

Well, that was a disaster! I got a call from a recruitment agent (I'm looking for a new job) and burnt them :(
Hopefully, it leads to a new job for you. :)

Nice thing is...it's an easy thing to make, so not a huge loss, really.

Back
Top Bottom