The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
4:05 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
F37954B9-0123-48E5-B481-7B1E34068BE8.jpeg

I love capers as an ingredient, except for one thing: the tendency they have to roll off things. They're round, so that's inevitable. But, when they're part of a sauce, there's always an uneven distribution: some capers pool together in one bite, while the next bite might not have any capers.

This method solves that problem. When I saw that caperberries looked a lot like green olives, I thought to myself: I wonder if this can be done like a tapenade? After preparation, everything went into the blender. There's no risk now of not tasting capers when you use this as a sauce, since it's evenly distributed throughout. As an added bonus, there's no need to add cream to turn this into a sauce: it's thick enough as-is, and also relatively healthy (except for the sodium content, which certainly will be astronomical).

Ingredients

1 tablespoon bacon grease
1 small red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup capers, drained
2 ounces white wine
2 ounces chicken stock
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Add onion, scraping the pan occasionally, for a few minutes, until softened. Clear an open spot in the pan and add garlic, scraping the pan frequently for about a minute. Add capers and stir to coat. Add wine and allow to cook until the liquid is reduced a bit, about 5 minutes.

E598397E-C30B-41C1-9BDB-80A9A53E36C8.jpeg

2. Add chicken stock and mustard. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

CA39D5DB-21E6-445A-822A-7537C6A63335.jpeg

3. Add mixture to a blender, and blend until pureed. Add pepper to taste, blending and rechecking as needed. you shouldn't need any additional salt, considering how salty the ingredients already are. Serve with sandwiches and meats.

Looks yummy! I like how it’s a change from the normal creamy caper sauces into more of a tapenade-style sauce. I love olive tapenade, so I’m sure I’d love this as well!

Back
Top Bottom