Recipe Caramelised Onion and Balsamic Vinegar Ice Cream

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:14 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Following on from another thread and the current onion ingredient recipe challenge, I though I would jokingly see if onion ice cream existed... Guess what...

The recipe comes from here
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/23/139882489/caramelized-onion-and-balsamic-ice-cream
And they credit it to here: A Passion for Vegetables by Paul Gayler (Lyons Press, 2003).

onion ice cream.jpg

Apparently it will look like coffee ice-cream

Ingredients
Makes about 1 quart

1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup red wine
Juice and grated zest of 1 orange
4 large egg yolks
1 large egg
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Method
  1. Put the onions in a pan of boiling water, simmer for 5 minutes, then drain. Repeat, then dry well on a kitchen towel.
  2. Melt the butter and 1/4 cup of the sugar gently in a heavy pan, add the onions and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized to a deep brown color (take care — the color will turn quickly at the end and may burn if you don't watch it).
  3. Add the red wine, orange juice and zest and boil until reduced by half.
  4. Whisk the egg yolks, whole egg and the remaining sugar together until the mixture is thick and pale yellow.
  5. Add the milk and cream to the onions and bring to a boil, then pour over the egg mixture little by little, stirring.
  6. Return to a clean pan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Be careful not to let it boil. (Just before it boils, you may see some of the following signs: tiny bubbles around the edge of the pan; a dull, quiet, suppressed boiling sound beneath the surface, like a teakettle before it whistles; a faint heaving and expansion of the surface. If you detect any of these signs, pull the pan off the flame right away.)
  7. Strain the mixture into a clean bowl and stir in the balsamic vinegar.
  8. Cool the ice cream quickly by standing the bowl in a larger bowl of iced water and stirring until cold (even better, pour the ice cream into a sturdy freezer bag and cool the bag in the iced water).
  9. Churn in an ice-cream maker until the mixture resembles semi-whipped cream, then freeze until firm.

Paul Gaylor is an interesting food writer (chef?). I have one of his books which is all about combining flavours, some of which are unexpected. I would trust this recipe to turn out well. I'd try it but don't have an ice-cream maker.

I am not taking a longer look at this. This is not nearly as bad as I thought it was. It just might be palatable after all. Can I say the same for the onion, carrot and broccoli smoothie @classic33 ?

Back
Top Bottom