Recipe Carbonara, sort of...

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:40 PM
2019-05-21-17-47-47-jpg.jpg

Classic carbonara has egg yolk, Pecorino Romano, guanciale, black pepper, pasta and maybe some pasta water, that's it. But, it seems like sometimes you end up with scrambled eggs and pasta. This method virtually eliminates that possibility.

This recipe also is not classic in that it uses prosciutto (which we had in the freezer leftover from another meal and was a little dried out, but perfectly fine for this recipe) and American bacon. It also uses Mizithra cheese, but since that can be difficult to find and is usually very expensive, even more so than imported Pecorino Romano, I subbed the Pecorino.

The original idea/recipe/method came from https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/wayne-thiebauds-spaghetti-with-mizithra-cheese

Ingredients

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 lb. spaghetti
4 oz. bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
4 oz. prosciutto, cut into ½″ pieces
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken stock
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups grated Mizithra cheese or Pecorino Romano
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley (optional, I omitted)
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten

Instructions

Cook spaghetti to al dente per package instructions in a large pot of boiling salted water. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 8–10 minutes, adding prosciutto in about halfway through. Transfer bacon and prosciutto to paper towels to drain. Place red onion in pan and cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium high, add stock and butter, bring to a boil. Drain spaghetti, reserving a cup of pasta water, and add to pan, mixing with sauce. Remove pan from heat and stir in drained bacon and prosciutto, plus two-thirds of the cheese, the parsley if using, egg yolks, and plenty of black pepper. Add some pasta water if sauce is too tight. Taste, add salt and more pepper if needed. Serve, using remaining cheese as garnish.

But, it seems like sometimes you end up with scrambled eggs and pasta. This method virtually eliminates that possibility.
I'm assuming you're referring to the addition of the yolks at the end, where the heat of the pasta and other components cooks the yolks? Other recipes I've seen use the whole egg.

This looks great.

I'm assuming you're referring to the addition of the yolks at the end, where the heat of the pasta and other components cooks the yolks? Other recipes I've seen use the whole egg.

I cooked a carbonara some time ago with fusilli. I've just checked to see what I did. Lightly beat the whole eggs (2) and mix with 50 gms of grated cheese. Then liquidise before adding to the remaining ingredients.Cook for two minutes or less.

The recipe that I used is here: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/fusilli-carbonara-534494

Last edited:
The whole egg is usually used to give more creaminess, but the tradition wants the use of yolks.
The carbonara is a seemingly simple dish, I was not exempt from cooking in the past a kind of omelette or scambled eggs over the pasta .. then one day a Roman chef told me 'the beaten eggs that you add at the end must be added to fire off '. Ooohh.

This is my carbonara.
https://www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk/2017/04/10/pasta-alla-carbonara/

Last edited:
If you are using the egg yolk only you can add heavy cream to add creamyness also it lowers down the saltyness.

If you are using the egg yolk only you can add heavy cream to add creamyness also it lowers down the saltyness.

I refer to the traditional Carbonara recipe: cream is never used. To give more creaminess, there are two roads: add a whole egg per person, or add pasta cooking water.

It is a dish with a balanced saltiness (unsalted water to boil pasta), the addition of cream unbalances it and adds a flavor that is not that of Carbonara. Then of course one does what prefers at home.

Back
Top Bottom