Recipe Carrot and Apple Bread

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:15 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm rather enjoying this challenge - carrots that is.

This looks rather nice and I can feel it arriving with a certain carrot and coriander soup. I reckon it would supplement the soup very nicely indeed. The recipes is from this site Averie Cooks (http://www.averiecooks.com/2014/11/carrot-apple-bread.html) which looks to be rather interesting and has now been bookmarked for later inspection!

carrotapplebreadcollage.jpg

Ingredients
1 large egg
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup liquid-state coconut oil (canola or vegetable may be substituted)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cup sour cream (light is okay; or Greek yogurt may be substituted)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt, optional and to taste
3/4 cup grated carrots (about 1 large peeled and trimmed carrot)
3/4 cup grated apples (I used 1 medium unpeeled Fuji; try Gala, Honeycrisp or similar)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray one 9x5-inch loaf pan with floured cooking spray, or grease and flour the pan; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, add the the first eight ingredients, through to nutmeg, and whisk to combine.
  3. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, optional salt, and fold with spatula or stir gently with a spoon until just combined; don't overmix.
  4. Add the carrots, apples, and fold gently to combine.
  5. Turn batter (it's very thick, this is what you want) out into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
  6. Bake for about 45 to 52 minutes (I baked 50 minutes) or until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Tip - Tent the pan with a sheet of foil draped loosely over it at the 35 minute-mark if you feel the tops and sides will become too browned before center cooks through. Baking times will vary based on moisture content of carrots, apples, climate, and oven variances. Bake until done; watch your bread, not the clock and don't worry if it takes longer to bake than the baking estimates provided.
  7. Allow bread to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving. It will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

Isn't this really a cake recipe? Its very sweet to be accompanying carrot and coriander soup. Well it certainly would be for me. Carrot soup is quite sweetish anyway so I wouldn't want more sweet bread with it. TBH I'm getting sick of carrots. I've tried out lots of recipes! Carrots are really a bit sweet for my taste... perhaps I'll go down the curry route. :D

I think I would like this alot, I have a real fondness for both carrots and apples. There was a bread baking company around here that used to make an apple scrapple bread that was too die for...but once the price went through the roof, I didn't go there anymore..I should make my own!

I hope to make this bread this week, it sound so good. I have carrots but need the apples and a few other items. I am sure it will not last long.

OK so this bread is so good. And if you DO NOT make the vanilla bean glaze then you are truly missing out. I made this yesterday and everyone wants seconds and thirds. I’m going to have to make another one. Gold thing it only needs one or two carrots and apples. I have some fresh picked organic carrots and juicy honeycrisp apples. Mm mmmm thank u soooo much!

I am just along to say this looks great and something I maybe can make. Josephkabbaj, where are the pictures? Whatever you are over there making I would love to see. I am like the 'little kid' in the forum who loves to see pictures. Welcome aboard.

Back
Top Bottom