Cast Iron Cookware

I am not so good with this quoting so I am uingthe old Windows method,

"Here is a raw cast iron pan which has been oil coated but not seasoned:"

That looks pretty good, and not black. I am willing to go to the extra trouble to season it bare. Not that I could find one...

"Lodge, and other bare cast iron makers offer unseasoned pans"

I went to their site and couldn't find any.

T

Well, lodge used to offer unseasoned iron. I don't like lodge because it is too rough. But, they did offer it seasoned or unseasoned.

CD

caseydog I wanted to ask you about your comment from the other thread regarding Lodge cast iron pans being too rough. Then I found this thread where you said the same thing.

I also found the lodge pans to be rough, though I own 2 now. Do you think it impacts performance? with enough fat in the pan nothing should stick anyway right?

I have a modern Lodge (probably 20 years old), and a Wagner that’s closing in on a hundred. The Wagner is smooth, the Lodge is (IMO) a little less smooth.

My understanding is it’s just a difference in the manufacturing process from one era to the next, but I haven’t had any significant performance issues with the Lodge. I fry eggs in it just about every weekend. 🤷🏻

I don't use metal implements, so dragging a spatula across the less-than-smooth surface doesn't bother me so much. Who knows, maybe a less polished surface helps the fats adhere better and aides in continual seasoning?

caseydog I wanted to ask you about your comment from the other thread regarding Lodge cast iron pans being too rough. Then I found this thread where you said the same thing.

I also found the lodge pans to be rough, though I own 2 now. Do you think it impacts performance? with enough fat in the pan nothing should stick anyway right?

I am used to my antique cast iron, which is smooth. I can run a spatula under food, and not leave part of it in the roughness of the pan.

There are YouTube videos showing how to grind/sand a Lodge pan interior smooth.

CD

I have a modern Lodge (probably 20 years old), and a Wagner that’s closing in on a hundred. The Wagner is smooth, the Lodge is (IMO) a little less smooth.

My understanding is it’s just a difference in the manufacturing process from one era to the next, but I haven’t had any significant performance issues with the Lodge. I fry eggs in it just about every weekend. 🤷🏻

It is more likely about volume. Making a gazillian cast iron pots and pans a year, you are bound to get rough iron. It is sand casting, so the roughness comes from the casting.

CD

Back
Top Bottom