Celebrity Chefs

@morning glory

Irvine is British but his shows were American. Kind of arrogant but hunky. "Restaurant Impossible" was kind of fun. He had to prepare meals for large crowds under crazy conditions. Not necessarily an outstanding chef - more of a T.V. personality.

Too many to list. I'm obsessed.

Jamie Oliver was just hitting screens here when I was pregnant with my daughter. So both my kids grew up cooking from his books... because of Jamie we grew our own veg... when our kids went through fussy eating stages my approach was for the kids to choose recipes from his books & then help to cook them.

Now the Sydney food scene has exploded. Neil Perry, Kylie Kwong, Lennox Hastie, Brent Savage, Mike Bennie, Dan Hong, and of course Bill Granger, Matt Moran, Luke Nguyen, Colin Fassnidge, Peter Gilmore...

A far cry from the days where I was called upon to cook for visiting vegetarians because the closest thing to vegetarians in Sydney was a salad sandwich.

And what about the Galloping Gourmet? Mum always used to watch his TV programmes. I've got one of the cookery books from the series (Entertaining with Kerr 2) courtesy of my Mum. I think I may have to investigate some of the recipes :D

Too many to list. I'm obsessed.
Now the Sydney food scene has exploded. Neil Perry, Kylie Kwong, Lennox Hastie, Brent Savage, Mike Bennie, Dan Hong, and of course Bill Granger, Matt Moran, Luke Nguyen, Colin Fassnidge, Peter Gilmore...

Yes - the Australian food scene is fantastic these days. I recognise a some of those names. Nguyen's programmes are great. He really goes back to his roots in Vietnamese cooking. Kylie Kwong is good too and presents lovely fusion food. Bill Granger is almost an honorary Brit!

Yes - the Australian food scene is fantastic these days. I recognise a some of those names. Nguyen's programmes are great. He really goes back to his roots in Vietnamese cooking. Kylie Kwong is good too and presents lovely fusion food. Bill Granger is almost an honorary Brit!
I only recognise Nguyen's name, but there are a couple of Australian sites I look on for inspiration.

@Elawin

I completely forgot to include "Classic" celebrity chefs. Yes "The Galloping Gourmet". In the U.S. the most iconic celebrity chef is Julia Child. She introduced French cooking to U.S. home cooks. She changed American cooking. Her shows were live. No editing. I remember one segment where she dropped a turkey on the floor. Without missing a beat she picked it, wiped it off and proceeded with her show. I own a string of pearls. I fell in love with pearls from her show. I frequently hear that very unique voice in my head - especially when I am using lots of butter.

DITTO - Michael Symon is the least arrogant celebrity chef. He is truly humble and frequently laughs at himself. He is also an exceptional chef. Love his recipes.

Emeril is a trip. So many people think he is a NOLA native - he is from New York. He really showed his humanity after Katrina. He helped all of his employees relocate and found them jobs in restaurants where ever they landed. When he was ready to re-open his restaurant he brought his employees back to NOLA. I have a couple of his cook books. "BAM"

I also like Mario Batali. I have made many of his recipes.

@ElizabethB

My husband and I met Chef Mario Batali in Bologna, Emilia Romagna, Italy quite a long time ago. He and his Team were sitting at a Restaurant Table next to our table .. It was quite a lunch ! He actually invited us to have lunch with him and his team ..

He has a very beautiful summer home on one of the Great Lakes

Amazing time ..

Last edited:
@Elawin

I completely forgot to include "Classic" celebrity chefs. Yes "The Galloping Gourmet". In the U.S. the most iconic celebrity chef is Julia Child. She introduced French cooking to U.S. home cooks. She changed American cooking. Her shows were live. No editing. I remember one segment where she dropped a turkey on the floor. Without missing a beat she picked it, wiped it off and proceeded with her show. I own a string of pearls. I fell in love with pearls from her show. I frequently hear that very unique voice in my head - especially when I am using lots of butter.

@ElizabethB

Julia Child was a true jewel .. I have all her books .. A grand lady .. She lived part of the time in a house in Provençe, France which is where she stayed during her times in France .. It serves as a commemorative " tiny museum " and it is actually for sale ..

She is highly respected by Monseuir Paul Bocuse and the French Cuisiniers .. and spoken about as well ..

Last edited:
@Elawin

I can't remember if any of her programmes were shown on TV in the UK but I've certainly heard of her. A lot of shows are on YouTube.

@Elawin , @Francesca ,

I can not think of another Chef that has had the impact on American cooking than Julia Child. She brought French cuisine into the average American household. Her most iconic and most frequently reproduced dish is Boeuf Bourguignon.

I really enjoyed the movie "Julie and Julia". I understand that Julia Child was not thrilled with the movie.

She lived part of the time in a house in Provençe, France which is where she stayed during her times in France .. It serves as a commemorative " tiny museum " and it is actually for sale ..

I sincerely hope that whoever purchases her house preserves the museum. It would be a crime to lose a remembrance of such a legendary woman.

@Elawin , @Francesca ,

I can not think of another Chef that has had the impact on American cooking than Julia Child. She brought French cuisine into the average American household. Her most iconic and most frequently reproduced dish is Boeuf Bourguignon.

I really enjoyed the movie "Julie and Julia". I understand that Julia Child was not thrilled with the movie.

I sincerely hope that whoever purchases her house preserves the museum. It would be a crime to lose a remembrance of such a legendary woman.

@ElizabethB

The commemorative house was priced at 800,000 Euros, if I recall or 1 Million Euros ..

I do not know if it was sold or if they decided to maintain it as a Commemorative Museum ..

Have to google it and check it out ..

Have a lovely day ..

I don't watch often Chefs Tv programs but sometimes I take a look at Antonino Cannavacciuolo programme, a Neapolitan giant chef very funny and his program is "cucine da incubo", "kitchen nightmares". Then Chef Rubio with "unti e bisunti", a joung very nice roman chef who goes through Italy for traditional cuisine ( and lately also through Spain and France), and I like him because is funny, got a lot of tattoos and he eats with hands! He is an ex professional rugby player. And yes, he is also a beauty guy!
And Benedetta Parodi. She isn't a professional chef in fact she is a little clumsy :happy: but her programme is simple and handly and she cooks simple dishes.
I've seen Jamie Oliver on you tube but I don't like him so much.

Back
Top Bottom