• I can take it or leave it

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:24 AM
A few recent posts revealed that quite a few members dislike celery. A bit of research revealed it was the most disliked vegetable in the UK so perhaps its true in other countries. Further research suggests there is a particular compound in celery which some people (genetically) find tastes unpleasant. So, rather like coriander leaves (cilantro) there can be a genetic reason why people dislike it.

What about you? Do you love or hate celery - or perhaps you can take it or leave it? Also - if you don't like celery do you also dislike celeriac? And what about cooked celery...?

We grew some last year - apparently it tasted good but was rather tough. I don't think we watered our's enough because it ended up almost hollow so it was all skin and not much inside :( Apparently it needs LOTS of water - we're trying again this year.

I water all the time, even though we have water restrictions here. While our city council sell billions of litres to the Chinese, I will continue to water.

Russ

Love it.

I can eat it stick at a time quite happily. I also distinctly remember several mates of it on my Grannie's windowsill in the kitchen and it was always served (and eaten) at every special occasion at my Grannie's. The last head of celery has just been eaten here, so once I get home from holiday I'll have to buy another. Here in Australia you can buy it with our without the leaves . Without the leaves comes packaged in film plastic (non-recyclable) and with which comes as is with only an elastic band to add to my ever growing collection of those, plus the seller's barcode. It's cheaper to buy it with the leaves plus the heads tend to be much bigger as well.

I like celery and for dipping sauces at appetizers, I generally stick with the celery or the slices of bell pepper. (See what I did there, stick? Oh, ahem...) I far prefer it to carrots, which unless shredded, I don't much care for at all when raw.

I will also stuff celery ribs with goat cheese, capers and fresh dill for other appetizers.

For cooking, I mainly use it in mirepoix. Or in a stuffing if I'm trying to make Mother's old turkey stuffing...

Celeriac is good. I do cook with it, but never see it in supermarkets. Only at farmers' markets.

Back
Top Bottom