Recipe Celery Soup

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
8:04 AM
I haven't posted many recipes recently. Life is busy. I actually haven't been making a ton of different meals. This one is different (for my household anyways), and turned out really good.

The reason I made it is simple. I bought a large bunch of celery not realizing that we already had one at home. This was a good way to use a bunch of it.

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, or butter
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 fat garlic cloves, rough chopped
  • 6 cups celery, sliced thin (about 1 ¼–1 ½ pounds) 1 extra-large head, save some leaves for garnish
  • 2 cups potatoes, sliced into ½ inch thick rounds ( about ¾ lb – 1 extra-large russet peeled, or use a few yukons, unpeeled.
  • 5 cups of chicken broth. I had just enough in the freezer that I had saved up from a few months ago
  • 1 bay leaf (optional, remove before blending)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, start conservatively or leave it out entirely.
Add:
  • ¼ cup fresh dill (small stems ok) (I ended up using all of the fresh dill, probably close to a half cup)
  • ½ cup fresh parsley (small stems ok) (3/4 of a cup)
  • Stir in: ½ cup (or more) of sour cream
Instructions
Heat the oil in a big pot over medium high heat, and add the onion, stirring occasionally, letting the onions get golden, about 5 minutes.
While the onions are cooking, rough chop the garlic, celery and potatoes. When the onions are golden add the garlic and stir 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the celery, potatoes, broth, water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and cayenne. The liquid should just cover the veggies. Cover, bring to a rolling boil, turn heat down and simmer gently until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Turn heat off, remove bay leaf and add the fresh herbs and just wilt them (don’t cook herbs or you lose the vibrant color!)
Using an immersion blender blend until very silky smooth – OR if using a regular blender, let cool before blending in smaller batches. (If blending warm soup, fill blender no more than halfway full, cover tightly with a lid and kitchen towel, holding it down firmly, when you start the motor (on the lowest setting, working up gradually) to prevent a blender “explosion”).
Blend well, a full minute, until herbs are fully blended, creating a vibrant colored soup. For extra “green” color, add a handful of raw spinach if you like, or more fresh parsley. Place it back in the same pot over low heat. Stir in your choice of sour cream, or any of the other options.
***Gently heat, careful to not over simmer, or you may lose the lovely vibrant color.
To make the crispy celery leaves, heat a generous amount of olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Wait until the oil is hot. Fry a “tester” celery leaf for 10-20 seconds on each side. Set on a paper towel. If it is crisp, continue on. Adding a few at a time, not overly crowding. If not crisp, fry them a little longer. You want about 3-5 leaves per serving bowl. In the same oil, you could fry the nigella seeds until you just begin to hear popping. Turn heat off. Arrange the crispy celery leaves in a crescent shape. Spoon a little of the nigella seeds along with a little oil in the same shape. Sprinkle with hemp seeds if you like.

After making it I realized that I put the fresh dill/parsley in too soon. The soup tasted pretty good. Honestly, it looked like vomit. I decided to let it cool, then blended in a few large handfuls of fresh spinach. This did the trick. Turned it to a bright green that I wanted too.

While the soup was heating up. I shredded some parmigiana and fried the celery leaves to top of the soup. We decided that next time I make this we will add crumbled bacon (my wife's suggestion, damn I love her!)

I'll post pictures in a minute

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go

Very interesting and different from the average celery soup recipe. :okay:

I've never had celery soup before. Heck, I probably would have never thought about making it if it wasn't for this site :) Whats different about my recipe than the average celery soup? Just curious. Always looking to try and mix things up.

This looks terrific. Celery is probably the most underrated vegetable since it always seems to have a supporting role, where it disappears into the background. This is one where it really stands out.

And, yeah...I will include bacon when I make this (probably bacon grease instead of oil, too).

I've never had celery soup before. Heck, I probably would have never thought about making it if it wasn't for this site :) Whats different about my recipe than the average celery soup? Just curious. Always looking to try and mix things up.
Usually, when I think of celery soup, it's as a cream soup.

It does have cream in it but the images posted look much greener than the usual celery soup.
Right. I'm used to a very white-cream colored celery soup. It was one of the few canned soups my mom would buy when we were kids.

It does have cream in it but the images posted look much greener than the usual celery soup.

That makes sense. I wanted it to be a bright green. More appealing too me. After the soup cooled down. I blended fresh spinach into the soup to get the desired color that I wanted while at the same time adding a bunch of nutrients :)

Back
Top Bottom