Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:26 PM
Cheddar And Apple Soup
Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), washed and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
3 medium apples (Gala or Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 celery ribs, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bay leaf
2 TBsp AP flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup reduced sodium chicken or veg broth
1 12oz bottle English ale (like Bass)
1 TBsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2-lb extra sharp white cheddar (preferably English), grated
4 streaky bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

DIRECTIONS
Cook leeks, apples, and celery in butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the veggies begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, bay leaf, and flour and cook for a further minute.
Add the milk, broth, and beer in a stream, stirring. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper.
Add the cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly, and cook until cheeseis melted into the soup (do not boil). Discard bay leaf.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup in the saucepan. If it is too thick, add a little water to thin to desired consistency and then blend again.
Serve, sprinkled with bacon.

Recipe courtesy of Jungle Jim's International Market Cooking School (Penny Behnes).

I've made this soup and it's really good, especially in the Autumn. I attended the class where Ms. Behnes taught this - she's a native Norfolk woman, extremely nice and a great cook.

Cheddar And Apple Soup
Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), washed and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
3 medium apples (Gala or Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 celery ribs, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bay leaf
2 TBsp AP flour
1 cup whole milk
1 cup reduced sodium chicken or veg broth
1 12oz bottle English ale (like Bass)
1 TBsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2-lb extra sharp white cheddar (preferably English), grated
4 streaky bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

DIRECTIONS
Cook leeks, apples, and celery in butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the veggies begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, bay leaf, and flour and cook for a further minute.
Add the milk, broth, and beer in a stream, stirring. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper.
Add the cheese by handfuls, stirring constantly, and cook until cheeseis melted into the soup (do not boil). Discard bay leaf.
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup in the saucepan. If it is too thick, add a little water to thin to desired consistency and then blend again.
Serve, sprinkled with bacon.

Recipe courtesy of Jungle Jim's International Market Cooking School (Penny Behnes).

I've made this soup and it's really good, especially in the Autumn. I attended the class where Ms. Behnes taught this - she's a native Norfolk woman, extremely nice and a great cook.

Sounds delicious, I like the combination of apple, garlic, leeks and celery.. I don't have English beer nor white cheddar, but I have Peroni beer and Coolea cheese (directly from the UK). Maybe Coolea cheese will work anyway?

Craig's mentioned having pretzel bread bowls for soup a couple of times lately. I bet this soup would be great in one.

Back
Top Bottom