Recipe Cheese and Onion Pie

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
9:40 PM
This is something I just had to teach myself to make as soon as I got my own kitchen. I had never had cheese and onion pie like this before moving from Hampshire to Salford, but as it is served regularly in all the hospital staff canteens it quickly became a firm favourite. It is very popular when the cook at school makes it for school dinners.

Ingredients
8 oz pastry. I use shortcrust but you could use frozen puff pastry.
2 medium to large onions
6 oz grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
a little water
salt and pepper
Method
Chop the onions and cook them in boiling lightly salted water for 5 minutes, drain well and mix with the grated cheese in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add most of the beaten egg.
Roll out half of the pastry thinly and line a 7 - 8 inch metal pie plate. Pour cheese filling into the centre. Roll out remaining pastry for the lid. Dampen the edges of the pastry on the pie plate, cover with the pastry lid and press edges well together. Flatten, scallop and neaten the edges. Brush with remaining egg. Bake 200 degrees C (180 fan) for about 30 minutes.

I love cheese and onion pie and haven't had one since I was a kid. My granny use to make them. Maybe I'll have a go at making one.

Back to school. When school dinners weren't all pre-packed or from a machine.

This is something I just had to teach myself to make as soon as I got my own kitchen. I had never had cheese and onion pie like this before moving from Hampshire to Salford, but as it is served regularly in all the hospital staff canteens it quickly became a firm favourite. It is very popular when the cook at school makes it for school dinners.

Ingredients
8 oz pastry. I use shortcrust but you could use frozen puff pastry.
2 medium to large onions
6 oz grated cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
a little water
salt and pepper
Method
Chop the onions and cook them in boiling lightly salted water for 5 minutes, drain well and mix with the grated cheese in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add most of the beaten egg.
Roll out half of the pastry thinly and line a 7 - 8 inch metal pie plate. Pour cheese filling into the centre. Roll out remaining pastry for the lid. Dampen the edges of the pastry on the pie plate, cover with the pastry lid and press edges well together. Flatten, scallop and neaten the edges. Brush with remaining egg. Bake 200 degrees C (180 fan) for about 30 minutes.
Actually Is there is alternative for cheese to add..Can we add butter and milk for that ..Give me suggestion i am eager to try this recipe

I made this yesterday, so I now have photos to illustrate the steps.

Boiling the chopped onions in salted water for 5 minutes.
IMG_20170221_172723904_HDR.jpg

Mix the cooked onion with the grated cheese, a little salt and pepper and most of a beaten egg( saving a little to brush over the pie).
Level the mixture out in the pastry lined pie dish.
IMG_20170221_175557542.jpg

Back
Top Bottom