Cherry Jam

rascal

Veteran
Local time
4:43 PM
Cherries from the tree in garden - only one small jar made...

My cheat to make it taste extra special: add a tablespoon of the syrup from Opies cocktail cherries to the jam mix at the end of cooking.

View attachment 29458
Our cherries are quite darker than yours, almost purple. Never had cherry jam, but I just love raw cherries. Must keep an eye out for jam. We get given cherries from every year, but I just eat them,lol. Wife's not a fan.

Russ

Local time
10:43 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Cherries from the tree in garden - only one small jar made...

My cheat to make it taste extra special: add a tablespoon of the syrup from Opies cocktail cherries to the jam mix at the end of cooking.
What's your method? Bring to a boil, then simmer for a bit? And, what else did you put in the jar? Cherries, some of the syrup, fruit pectin, and more sugar?

Last edited:

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:43 AM
What's your method? Bring to a boil, then simmer for a bit? And, what else did you put in the jar? Cherries, some of the syrup, fruit pectin, and more sugar?
Yes - sugar, lemon juice and pectin - simmer until it sets when a bit is dropped on a cold plate - plus the maraschino cherry liquid at the end. I know purists might eschew using pectin. But I'm not purist about it and I like a set jam.

Top Bottom