100g light brown sugar
2tbsp golden syrup
1tsp vanilla essence
160g self-raising flour
150g chocolate, milk, dark or white broken into 0.5cm chunks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C, gas 4.
Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat the golden syrup into the butter and sugar with the vanilla essence. Mix in flour and chocolate chunks until just combined.
Take a teaspoonful of the mixture, roll it into a ball, then place onto a greased baking tray, flattening it slightly with the palm of your hand. Repeat with the remaining dough, allowing plenty of room for the cookies to spread while baking.
Bake for 12/15 mins until golden brown.
Allow chocolate chip cookies to cool on the tray for few mins before transferring them to a wire rack.

IMG_0816.JPG

Looks DELISH!!

I might try it! But what is golden syrup? :wink:
A very British product is the answer!
I can get it in the Australian, but only in certain shops in the international section.

It is actually light treacle, if that helps. A really pale golden treacle made from pure cane sugar.

Wikipedia...
Golden syrup
170px-Lyle%27sGoldenSyrup.jpg
A tin of Lyle's Golden Syrup
Golden syrup or light treacle is a thick, amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance similar to honey and is often used as a substitute where honey is unavailable or prohibitively expensive. Many vegans also use it as a honey substitute due to the perceived exploitation of bees in order to mass produce honey for human consumption.

Molasses, or dark treacle, has a richer colour than golden syrup, and a strong, distinctive flavour.

I think it is available in some US supermarkets. Its often in a squeezy bottle. Look in the baking section. Otherwise substitute maple syrup or corn syrup.

Back
Top Bottom