Recipe Chicken Achiote with Paprika and Blood Orange

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:43 PM
Having discovered a new spice there is no stopping me! Achiote has a beautiful subtle and fascinating flavour. It reminds me a little of Saffron not because it tastes similar but because it has such an unusual complex flavour. This is such a simple recipe that I can hardly believe it tastes so good! No onions or garlic, it couldn't be easier to prepare. I grilled (broiled) the chicken - but I'm sure the chicken could be cooked on a BBQ/grill. I used a culinary blow-torch to char the chicken. The paprika I used is Hungarian paprika (not smoked paprika) and it is significantly hot. I do mean hot! If you don't have it then add a teaspoon of hot chilli powder to mild unsmoked paprika.

fullsizeoutput_2caf.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
350g boned and skinned chicken thighs
25g achiote paste
Juice of one blood orange (or substitute orange plus a squirt of lime juice)
3 heaped tsp hot unsmoked Hungarian paprika (or substitute mild paprika plus 1 tsp hot chilli powder)
1/2 tsp salt

Method
  1. Mix together the achiote paste, orange juice, paprika and salt until smooth.
  2. Open out the chicken thighs, place in a bowl and and coat them them thoroughly in the mixture.
  3. Cover and leave overnight.
  4. Cook under a hot grill (broiler), turning once for approximately 10 mins per side or until tender and slightly charred.
  5. Finish the charring with a blow-torch (optional)
fullsizeoutput_2cb7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2cae.jpeg

Last edited:
Hang on to your achiote! I just watched an episode of "Pati's Mexican Table". She made a Mexican style lasagna with Mexican chorizo and, you guessed it, achiote. Once I make it, I'll pass it on if it is good.

Hang on to your achiote! I just watched an episode of "Pati's Mexican Table". She made a Mexican style lasagna with Mexican chorizo and, you guessed it, achiote. Once I make it, I'll pass it on if it is good.
Sounds interesting - one thing though, I really dislike chorizo unless its unsmoked...

Having discovered a new spice there is no stopping me! Achiote has a beautiful subtle and fascinating flavour. It reminds me a little of Saffron not because it tastes similar but because it has such an unusual complex flavour. This is such a simple recipe that I can hardly believe it tastes so good! No onions or garlic, it couldn't be easier to prepare. I grilled (broiled) the chicken - but I'm sure the chicken could be cooked on a BBQ/grill. I used a culinary blow-torch to char the chicken. The paprika I used is Hungarian paprika (not smoked paprika) and it is significantly hot. I do mean hot! If you don't have it then add a teaspoon of hot chilli powder to mild unsmoked paprika.

Morning Glory,

You had recommended this in a post in the thread Meat Glazes. I looked it up and I will be trying it with a few modifications.

Back
Top Bottom