Recipe Chicken and Dumplings

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
3:44 PM
JAS_OH1
Thank you for the extension.
My recipe is not culinary genius. Down home southern cooking. Comfort food.

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

INGREDIENTS - for soup
1 TBSP EVOO
2 TBSP Butter
5 or 6 chicken thighs - bones and skin removed, fat left on, cubed 1" (3 lbs. meat)
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/4 cup APF
6 Cups Chicken Stock
2 TBSP Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base - optional - If you can find it use it - a huge flavor additive.
2 TBSP Fresh Thyme Leaves (2 Tsp. Dried)
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup frozen peas
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

INGREDIENTS - for dumplings
2 Cups APF
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp. Salt
1 TBSP Fresh Thyme Leaves (1 Tsp. Dried)
2 TBSP Butter - melted
3/4 Cup Whole Milk

METHOD
Add EVOO and Butter to a Dutch Oven. Set heat to medium. When Butter stops foaming add cubed chicken. Cook, stirring frequently until fat is rendered. The chicken does not have to be fully cooked. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon.
Add onions, carrots and celery to pot. Cook until onions are tender. Sprinkle APF over Veggies. Cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Stir in BTB Chicken Base if using. Add Stock, bay leaf and Thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots and celery are tender. Add Bell Pepper and Peas. Simmer another 5 minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.

While the soup is simmering prepare the dumplings.
Whisk together dry ingredients including Thyme. Add butter and milk. Stir to form a dough. It will be wet. Drop the dough into the soup a Tsp. at a time. Press the dumplings into the soup until the liquid runs over dumplings. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until dumplings are done - about 15 minutes.
Remove Bay leaf and adjust seasoning.

Chicken and Dumplings are so comforting - like a Mother's hug.

JAS_OH1
Thank you for the extension.
My recipe is not culinary genius. Down home southern cooking. Comfort food.

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

INGREDIENTS - for soup
1 TBSP EVOO
2 TBSP Butter
5 or 6 chicken thighs - bones and skin removed, fat left on, cubed 1" (3 lbs. meat)
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/4 cup APF
6 Cups Chicken Stock
2 TBSP Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base - optional - If you can find it use it - a huge flavor additive.
2 TBSP Fresh Thyme Leaves (2 Tsp. Dried)
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup frozen peas
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

INGREDIENTS - for dumplings
2 Cups APF
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp. Salt
1 TBSP Fresh Thyme Leaves (1 Tsp. Dried)
2 TBSP Butter - melted
3/4 Cup Whole Milk

METHOD
Add EVOO and Butter to a Dutch Oven. Set heat to medium. When Butter stops foaming add cubed chicken. Cook, stirring frequently until fat is rendered. The chicken does not have to be fully cooked. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon.
Add onions, carrots and celery to pot. Cook until onions are tender. Sprinkle APF over Veggies. Cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Stir in BTB Chicken Base if using. Add Stock, bay leaf and Thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots and celery are tender. Add Bell Pepper and Peas. Simmer another 5 minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.

While the soup is simmering prepare the dumplings.
Whisk together dry ingredients including Thyme. Add butter and milk. Stir to form a dough. It will be wet. Drop the dough into the soup a Tsp. at a time. Press the dumplings into the soup until the liquid runs over dumplings. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until dumplings are done - about 15 minutes.
Remove Bay leaf and adjust seasoning.

Chicken and Dumplings are so comforting - like a Mother's hug.

View attachment 73164
Pulling off great chicken and dumplings is culinary genius, I promise you. It's something my grandmother could do with her eyes closed but I know plenty of other people who tried repeatedly and could never pull it off!

EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
APF - All Purpose Flour
I asked the same question when I joined the forum.
Welcome to our cooking family.

Good dumplings are good. Bad dumplings are mini bowling balls that sit in your stomach for many hours. I'm sure yours are good.

Now, I was hoping to see an entry with something G killed, like duck.

CD

Good dumplings are good. Bad dumplings are mini bowling balls that sit in your stomach for many hours. I'm sure yours are good.

Now, I was hoping to see an entry with something G killed, like duck.

CD
I think she just ran short of time. Pretty sure she had plenty of fowl in the freezer but I am guessing it takes more time to treat and prepare.

Back
Top Bottom