Recipe Chicken and Seville Orange Khoresh

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:15 AM
I don't usually post recipes which aren't my own - but this one is cooked from a book sent to me by a friend. Its written by his sister-in-law, who comes from Persia. You can find the recipe here:
http://jila-dana-haeri.tumblr.com/post/111777021301/chicken-and-seville-oranges-khoresh-khoresh-e

I pretty much followed the recipe as published but added some rose petals to garnish. They are the dark red bits in the photo. I think pomegranate seeds would also have looked pretty but I didn't have any to hand. Its a very rich, sweet and sour dish which makes the most of the bitter Seville oranges on sale here in January and February. These are the oranges traditionally used to make marmalade. You could use other oranges.
DSCF2784-2.jpg

Photographed today in natural light augmented with LED.
Ingredients
8 skinless chicken pieces ( legs and breasts)
4 Seville oranges
3 large carrots
1 medium size onion
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 heaped teaspoon tomato puree
30ml liquid saffron
3 table spoon sugar
30g butter
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
300 ml chicken stock
Salt and pepper
Garnish
20g pistachio slivers
20g almond slivers
1 table spoon vegetable oil

Preparation:
  • Wash the chicken pieces, trim any fat and dry them.
  • Peel and finely chop the onion
  • Using a vegetable peeler, peel 3 oranges thinly (trying to leave as much of the white pith behind as possible ) and cut the peels into juliennes.
  • Separate the peeled oranges into segments and with a sharp knife remove the piths from each segment .Peel the carrots and cut them into juliennes as well. Squeeze the fourth orange for juice.
Cooking
Put the Seville oranges juliennes in a small pan of cold water, bring to boil and drain in a strainer and refresh under cold running water, test for bitterness and if needed repeat, and set aside.

Heat the oil in a medium size sauce pan and fry the onion to golden, add the chicken pieces and fry to seal them ( about 8-10minutes). Add the turmeric, salt and pepper and tomato puree, and stir well. Now add the chicken stock, bring to boil, reduce the heat , cover and simmer for 30 -40 minutes. The chicken pieces should be soft and the sauce reduced to almost 1/3.

Whilst the chicken is cooking, melt the butter with a table spoon of oil and a table spoon of sugar in a heavy based frying pan and fry the carrot juliennes on medium heat for about 10 minutes, they should be glistening, golden. Make sure not to brown them. Add the orange juliennes, stir fry for a couple of minutes, add 2 teaspoon of liquid saffron and set aside.

Fold in the carrot and orange mix into the chicken and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Before serving add the orange segments, the juice of the Seville orange, the rest of the sugar and the liquid saffron, simmer for a further 5 minutes or so, but not for long as the orange juliennes will disintegrate.

For the garnish, heat the oil in a small frying pan and sir fry the almond and pistachio slivers for a minute.

DSCF2771-2.jpg

Last edited:
I like that combination of sweet and sour - and your dishes always look so lovely and vibrant. The addition of the rose petals really does look pretty. I don't know locally about finding pomegranate seeds...the only thing I have in my cupboard right now of a similar color would be dried cranberries and I don't know how they would do in the dish!

Looks good to me. I want to rush and prepare some chicken for lunch today but I don't have some of the ingredients. It's something I would enjoy though. For a minute I thought it was a recipe for the challenge but it could easily be with some sweet peppers added.

It looks very healthy. I think it would be the way to make a nice healthy dish. I don't think we can get seville oranges here, but I am sure I could substitute somehting. One thing that is great about this site, is that there are so many healthy recipes posted. It is good to see them.

It looks very healthy. I think it would be the way to make a nice healthy dish. I don't think we can get seville oranges here, but I am sure I could substitute somehting. One thing that is great about this site, is that there are so many healthy recipes posted. It is good to see them.
You can use ordinary oranges, no problem.

It's weird, because none of the Persian recipes I have in my collection have any saffron whatsoever, and an Iranian friend never used it either. Perhaps the "posher" dishes have it in.
Oh - well I was going by what I've read and the particular cookbook. I'm no expert in Persian/Iranian cooking.

Back
Top Bottom