1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper, divided
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
2-1/2 cups chicken stock
1-1/2 cups converted rice
All of seasoning mix (below)

Seasoning Mix

2 whole bay leaves
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (OMIT or greatly reduce if using tasso)
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp rubbed sage

Directions
Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.

Melt the butter in a 2 quart stove/oven safe pan over medium to medium high heat. Add the tasso and cook for a minute. Add the chicken and cook until just starting to whiten, stirring frequently and scraping the pan bottom. Stir in the seasoning mix and 1/2 cup each of the celery, onion and green bell peppers. Cook until vegetables start to get tender, about 5 minutes, again stirring frequently and scraping pan bottom. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Mix in the tomato sauce and cook 1 minute more. Add the remaining celery, onion, green bell peppers. Remove from heat. Stir in the stock and rice, mixing well. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake uncovered for 1 hours. Remove from oven, stir, remove bay leaves, and let sit 5 minutes before serving.

You can serve with Creole sauce, which also makes a nice dipping sauce for Cajuncini.

Creole sauce Makes about 2-1/2 cups

Ingredients

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup peeled and chopped tomatos
3/4 cup chopped celery
3;4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
1-1/2 tsp minced garlic
1-1/4 cups chicken stock
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp Crystal hot sauce, use Tobasco if you like it spicy
All of seasoning mix

Seasoning mix ingredients

2 whole bay leaves
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil

Directions

In a small bowl, combine the seasoning mix ingredients. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, onions, celery and bell peppers and cook until onions are transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and seasoning mix until well combined. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the stock, tomato sauce, sugar and hot sauce until well mixed. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves. At this point, you can either leave as a chunky sauce or use an immersion blender to get a smooth sauce per your wishes. I would make a smooth sauce if it's going to be used for Cajuncini.

Last edited:
Lovely - and I know you make your own Tasso. I like the sound of the Creole sauce (bookmarked to try). A few questions:

What is converted rice? What is Cajuncini

The last is a stupid question as I now see you posted the recipe!

Lovely - and I know you make your own Tasso. I like the sound of the Creole sauce (bookmarked to try). A few questions:

What is converted rice? What is Cajuncini

The last is a stupid question as I now see you posted the recipe!

Like Uncle Ben's brand, which I don't know if you have. Just regular 20 minute or so cooking rice.

Like Uncle Ben's brand, which I don't know if you have. Just regular 20 minute or so cooking rice.

Yes we have Uncle Ben's but its not called converted. We do have something called 'quick cook' rice. But doesn't all rice take 20 mins or so unless its brown rice?

Yes we have Uncle Ben's but its not called converted. We do have something called 'quick cook' rice. But doesn't all rice take 20 mins or so unless its brown rice?

We have, and Craig and I call it an abomination, something called Minute Rice, and it pretty much takes a minute to cook after the water boils. It's mushy and tastes processed to us, as in not like rice should taste. That's what I was referring to when I wrote about the 20 minute or so cooking time, as in not using Minute Rice.

I don't have a bag right now, as we take the rice out of the bag and put it in a plastic container, but I'm pretty sure that the Uncle Ben's white rice here still has converted rice somewhere on the bag.

Chef Paul's book still uses old names for some things and you can tell he didn't have to clean up after himself because he would use up several pots/pans/dishes when 1 or 2 would do. That's part of the modifications we made because I'm not cleaning up that much mess.

It's been a while since we made this and our salt intake has apparently changed since it's now too salty for us. So, next time I make this will decrease salt to a slightly rounded 1 tsp.

It's been a while since we made this and our salt intake has apparently changed since it's now too salty for us. So, next time I make this will decrease salt to a slightly rounded 1 tsp.

When I use Tasso (homemade) for gumbos and such, I don't add any salt. Tasso is salty enough for me on its own.

CD

When I use Tasso (homemade) for gumbos and such, I don't add any salt. Tasso is salty enough for me on its own.

CD
I always use our homemade tasso. Never bought any unless in Louisiana and haven't been there in years. So, it's not that, just a diet that includes less and less salt over time.

Back
Top Bottom