Recipe Chicken Brussels Sprouts and Quinoa Burritos

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:48 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

This one was a rarity: it met with approval from both my wife and my son. Despite the presence of bacon and cheese, the use of ultra light tortillas makes this a relatively healthy meal choice: 182 calories a piece, or 4 Weight Watchers points.

Ingredients

20 ounces chicken breast, trimmed of fat and skin
6 strips bacon (I used Boar's Head Maple Bacon...incredible)
3 ounces smoked gouda
8 ounces brussels sprouts, shredded
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon dry sage
6 tortillas (I used OLE Xtreme Wellness Spinach flavor...only 80 calories each)

Directions

1. Boil quinoa in 1 cup of water with a little bit of salt. Raise to a boil, then lower to medium-low. Cook with a lid on the pot for 20 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. Cut bacon into small chunks and cook in a pan on medium heat until crispy. Drain the grease and save. Place bacon on a paper towel and set aside.

3. Place quinoa in the pan with the sage. Add some of the reserved bacon grease. Cook, moving continuously, for a minute or two, until slightly browned, then remove from the pan.

4. Add shredded brussels sprouts to the pan, adding some of the bacon grease as needed. Brown slightly, then remove from the pan.

5. Cut chicken in 1/2 inch (12 mm) chunks. Add most of the remaining bacon grease to the pan, then cook the chicken, browning slightly on all sides.

6. Add all cooked ingredients back to the pan. Stir thoroughly. Cook for another minute, then remove from heat and allow to cook slightly.

7. Scoop an equal amount of the mixture into tortillas, and add 1/2 ounce of cheese to each.

8. Fold two opposite sides of the tortilla toward the middle, then roll up, wetting the last edge of the tortilla slightly with water to help it stick. Place, fold-side down, for a few minutes to help the folded over flap to stick.

9. Add remaining bacon grease to the pan. Cook tortillas, fold-side down first, until browned. Flip over and brown the other side.

10. Serve with balsamic vinegar.

Bacon and gouda makes everything good, yum yum. Wonderful that you managed to make such a nutritious wrap with bacon and cheese in it! Very clever.

Back
Top Bottom