Recipe Chicken Enchiladas Verdes

blades

Local time
7:30 PM
Everybody is familiar with Mexican enchiladas. My favorite are made with pulled chicken and salsa verde. Verde means green in Spanish and refers to the color of the salsa which is made from tomatillos. This recipe makes a dozen enchiladas.

Ingredients

6 to 8 tomatillos
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium onion
2 jalapeno peppers
4 cloves garlic
salt and pepper
8 to 10 chicken tenders or the equivalent in chicken breast
salt and pepper
garlic powder
12 corn tortillas
1 bag of shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese

Instructions

Start with the salsa. Peel the tomatillos and cook them in boiling water until they are soft. While they are cooking put all the ingredients except for the tomatillos, cheese, chicken and tortillas into a food processor and puree them. When the tomatillos are ready add them and puree them with the other ingredients.

Next, the chicken. Salt and pepper the chicken and apply some garlic powder. Sautee them in cooking oil and then pull them apart with a pair of forks.

Put about 1/2 of the salsa in a small skillet and heat it. We will use this to soften the tortillas. Each tortilla is dipped briefly and turned over to soften it. Then lay the tortillas out, fill them with the pulled chicken, some salsa and some cheese, roll them up and place them in an oiled 16X9 baking dish. Cover the enchiladas with the remaining salsa and cheese. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350F oven until the cheese has melted. I hope you like them.

Bookmarked! I’ve never made enchiladas before, so this’ll be fun.

Love this! Just like I ate in Mexico City.
Enchiladas are great. We had them with chicken, with shrimp, and with fried eggs, for breakfast.

Craig likes them best with pork and salsa rojo, but I like chicken with salsa verde the best.

I use the same green sauce and filings when I make tamales.

Green chile stew/posole for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom