Recipe Chicken Fillets with Cumin & Lime Leaves

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:31 AM
This ‘en papillote’ recipe is very easy to make. The marinade ensures the chicken is super tender and succulent. The surprising and delicious effect here is the combination of earthy cumin and perfumed lime leaves, A harmonious combination of low notes and high notes. Its worth noting that this recipe is very low calorie and virtually fat free. You can make the dish as spicy as you like by varying the amount of chilli.

fullsizeoutput_50dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_50bd.jpeg

Ingredients
4 mini chicken breast fillets (or 2 chicken breast fillets divided into 4 pieces lengthwise)
2 heaped tbsp. plain Greek style yoghurt
½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (use more if you wish)
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 heaped tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 fat medium hot chilli sliced into thin rings (I used ½ a red & ½ a yellow chilli)
3 fresh lime leaves
A generous splash of white wine

Method
  1. Place the yoghurt and ground spices in a bowl. Add the chicken fillets and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and leave to marinate for several hours in the fridge (overnight is fine).
  2. Heat the oven to 180 C (I used a halogen cooker).
  3. Lay the chicken fillets with their marinade on a large sheet of foil or foil lined with baking paper, curve up the edges of the foil and add a generous splash of white wine. Beer could be substituted for wine.
  4. Scatter the lime leaves and slices of chilli over and around the chicken.
  5. Take another piece of foil and form a tent over the top, crimping the edges together to prevent leaks.
  6. Bake for 25 mins. Remove the top of the foil parcel and use a culinary blow-torch to char the chicken and chillies slightly.
  7. Cut the chicken fillets diagonally across the grain and serve with their juices.
  8. Brush with a little vegetable oil before serving (optional)

fullsizeoutput_50ce.jpeg

The surprising and delicious effect here is the combination of earthy cumin and perfumed lime leaves, A harmonious combination of low notes and high notes.
I first skimmed past the “leaves”, and had to circle back. I just picked up a bag of curry leaves, and your recipe has me thinking. Very nice!

Yeah, I'll have to source some lime leaves somewhere nearby. That might prove a challenge.

Yeah, I'll have to source some lime leaves somewhere nearby. That might prove a challenge.

Used to be difficult here but for a while now Waitrose supermarket have been selling them (fresh ones). Its not worth using dried. I used to use frozen fresh ones which I could get on-line. They survive well in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom