1/3 cup cooking cream
4 sprigs thyme
4 thin slices prosciutto
4 tbsp butter
salt and pepper
flour for coating livers
olive oil
1/2 cup torn parsley leaves
200gms cooked Tagliatelle pasta (bought or home made)

Method

Cook prosciutto in a hot fry pan till crispy. Set aside. Coat liver pieces lightly in flour and brown for just a couple of minutes in a little oil. Remove liver and set aside. Lower heat a little, add a little more oil, butter, and saute onions and garlic. Add mushrooms and thyme and saute a few more minutes. Add Madeira, stir, and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Stir in cream, remove thyme stalks, and taste for seasoning and add as needed. Return liver pieces to pan and warm through, then stir in pasta as well. Turn off heat, and garnish with parsley and crunched up pieces of prosciutto. Serve hot.

View: https://youtu.be/uslmFbX_pzo

For me, using chicken liver is the unique thing in this recipe, where I would have used chicken meat. As usual, you have a talent for mixing color in your meal presentation.
Thankyou... chicken livers are very tasty. You can make a really nice pate out of them with very few ingredients.

I'm impressed that you made your own pasta (in the video). That must have added an extra level of awesome to this recipe. Was this a sweet madeira or a dry one? I do want to make this some day; I'd imagine a dry madeira would work with all the gloriously savory elements better, but I'm curious to hear if a sweeter one works here.

I'm impressed that you made your own pasta (in the video). That must have added an extra level of awesome to this recipe. Was this a sweet madeira or a dry one? I do want to make this some day; I'd imagine a dry madeira would work with all the gloriously savory elements better, but I'm curious to hear if a sweeter one works here.
The only madeira my bottlo had was a South Australian version of it called Boronia. I was assured it was an Aussie version of maidera. It was a little sweet, but not overly so. Here are the tasting notes by the chain that sells it:

"Incredibly smooth on the palate, this Boronia Alluovo is a fortified wine boasting an impressive variety of flavour notes of caramel and raisins playing along perfectly with the grapey core. Use in recipes, or enjoy a sip as you tuck into a cheese board."

View attachment 57982

View attachment 57983

View attachment 57984

Recipe

Ingredients

500gms chicken livers trimmed
2 shallots chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 and 1/2 cups Madeira
100gms Swiss brown mushrooms sliced
1/3 cup cooking cream
4 sprigs thyme
4 thin slices prosciutto
4 tbsp butter
salt and pepper
flour for coating livers
olive oil

Method

Cook prosciutto in a hot fry pan till crispy. Set aside. Coat liver pieces lightly in flour and brown for just a couple of minutes in a little oil. Remove liver and set aside. Lower heat a little, add a little more oil, butter, and saute onions and garlic. Add mushrooms and thyme and saute a few more minutes. Add Madeira, stir, and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Stir in cream, remove thyme stalks, and taste for seasoning and add as needed. Return liver pieces to pan and warm through, then stir in pasta as well. Turn off heat, and garnish with parsley and crunched up pieces of prosciutto. Serve hot.

Sounds like my chicken liver pate deconstructed, I'd be all over that.
Copied.
Thanks brother.

Russ

The only madeira my bottlo had was a South Australian version of it called Boronia. I was assured it was an Aussie version of maidera. It was a little sweet, but not overly so. Here are the tasting notes by the chain that sells it:

"Incredibly smooth on the palate, this Boronia Alluovo is a fortified wine boasting an impressive variety of flavour notes of caramel and raisins playing along perfectly with the grapey core. Use in recipes, or enjoy a sip as you tuck into a cheese board."

View attachment 58425
From the "bottle O" ??

Russ

Sounds like my chicken liver pate deconstructed, I'd be all over that.
Copied.
Thanks brother.

Russ
There's certainly the elements there to make a good pate. I make one following Margaret Fulton's recipe, who was a pioneering Aussie cookbook writer in the late 60's and in to the 70's.

A "bottlo" is a takeaway alcohol shop, short for bottleshop, that often (but not always) you can drive through and they serve you whilst you sit in your car.

Last edited:
There's certainly the elements there to make a good pate. I make one following Margaret Fulton's recipe, who was a pioneering Aussie cookbook writer in the late 60's and in to the 70's.

A "bottlo" is a takeaway alcohol shop, short for bottleshop, that often (but not always) you can drive through and they serve you whilst you sit in your car.

I visit Aussie regularly, pre covid, I used to buy my booze from the chain stores of bottle o.
I have/had Margaret Fulton books here. Remember I'm your neighbour.

Russ

View attachment 57982

View attachment 57983

View attachment 57984

Recipe

Ingredients

500gms chicken livers trimmed
2 shallots chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 and 1/2 cups Madeira
100gms Swiss brown mushrooms sliced
1/3 cup cooking cream
4 sprigs thyme
4 thin slices prosciutto
4 tbsp butter
salt and pepper
flour for coating livers
olive oil

Method

I today found a pack of chicken livers in the freezer. I think they were bought for the dogs but I'm now considering your recipe. I will obviously have to substitute certain ingredients and probably have to miss a few out.

In lieu of Madeira I'll use Thai brandy (a little less, of course).
In lieu of Swiss mushrooms I'll use shiitakes.
In lieu of cream, I'll use yoghurt.
In lieu of prosciutto I'll use bacon.
And I'll use whatever pasta I have in the fridge.

However, it will not be possible in the near future as I have just this week used all the bacon that I had.

Back
Top Bottom