Chicken noodle soup?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:34 AM
Perfect comfort food and so soothing - do you ever make chicken noodle soup? If so, how do you make it?

The way I do it is to put the left over chicken carcass (broken up) in a pan and the add aromatics plus some root vegetables if I have them. Each time I make it it varies depending on what is to hand. Then I cover with water, bring to simmer and cook for about 45 mins. Then strain off the stock and pick over the bones for bits of chicken to add back in. Then any left over cooked chicken goes in, plus the noodles.

For this one I used onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, coriander seeds, root ginger

If I make it because we want it, as opposed to slapping it together if we feel bad, I debone chicken thighs and throw them in a pot with a mirepoix, some water and purchased chicken stock, maybe some thyme, s and p, and let that simmer covered for a while. Then strain that and put in the thighs, letting them cook covered until done. Remove the thighs, let them cool, shred. I'm not fond of celery so rarely put that in there, but sometimes a little and nearly always diced carrots and onions. Let them cook, throw in the shredded chicken, noodles, and let warm through. I cook the noodles separately as they will cloud the stock. A lot of times though, we'll use glass noodles, so they just have to soak, then cook for just a few minutes. While all the above is cooking, I render the skin until its nice and crisp, then break it up and use for garnish.

Basically the same thing for chicken vegetable soup, except add veges like carrots, peas or green beans, maybe corn kernels, and potato cubes.

Last edited:

I think that's the last time I made chicken noodle soup. I don't do anything fancy, just carrot, onion, and celery, chicken broth, chicken, noodles, and some kind of fresh herb; usually thyme.

Chicken is whatever I have on hand. Leftover, or skinless/boneless, or bone-in...I've even used canned white meat chicken. Noodles are the same way; skinny, wide, I don't really care.

One thing I do care about is cooking the noodles separately, then adding them to each bowl when it's time to eat. Otherwise (assuming you've made enough soup for a couple of days), those noodles start disintegrate after a while and become a gummy, shaggy mess by the next day, so I just boil noodles as I need them.

Wife buys packets of 3 labelled cup of soup. I use two packets in my Kai Si Ming. Dish I make, a fave here, I made it last night. With beef mince mixed veges curry powder and cabbage. Enough left over for toasties. There may be a fight for leftovers

Russ

I love Chicken Noodle soup. My wife's is awesome. That was the first soup she made for me after we got married. When she made it. I said no thanks. I don't eat soup. She says. Who doesn't eat soup. I said "me". My mom only made that canned, condensed soup that was horrible.

Well, Colleen's was homemade. It smelled delicious. After eating it. I knew I married her for more than her smoking hot body!!! lol

Kway teow gai. I've never really considered it a soup as the way we make it there is not a lot of liquid. Of course this may be remedied by adding stock.

Ingredients: chicken, wide rice noodles, garlic, cayenne chillis, Thai hot chillis, fish sauce, soy sauce, tomatoes, fresh coriander, fresh basil, sugar and seasoning.

The recipe for kway teow gai is here: Recipe - Kway Teow Gai

but unfortunately the image therein was imported from the now defunct "photobucket".

I would be grateful if a kind moderator could copy the image and paste it into the above post. My editing rights for that post expired long ago.

That was the first soup she made for me after we got married. When she made it. I said no thanks.
Aware of this being an old post, sorry. Learning about glass noodle soups...this is such a sweet memory that you shared. May I ask how long you dated your now wife?

Ha, CNS is on our menu this week since we are getting our second jabs later in the week. I'll make it either today or tomorrow.
Wonderful. I'll probably do some next week...it is handy for the kid to warm it up by herself, while I'll be at work...

Aware of this being an old post, sorry. Learning about glass noodle soups...this is such a sweet memory that you shared. May I ask how long you dated your now wife?

We met September 30th 1988. We started dating around Thanksgiving. We were married APR 27th 1989. Next week we celebrate 32 awesome years.

Back
Top Bottom