Recipe Chicken Pasanda

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:33 PM
If you order Chicken Pasanda in a UK Indian restaurant, you would expect a mild creamy curry, thickened with almonds. In fact you can make the curry as spicy as you like and it will take quite a lot of chilli because the almonds tend to temper the heat. Here I used black peppercorns as well as ground chilli and green chillies. The result is subtle layers of flavour with a kick of warm heat in reserve. Serve with naan bread or rice. This curry (like many curries) will benefit from being left overnight and reheated.

Ingredients (serves 2)
2 x skinless, medium boneless chicken breasts cut into chunks.
150 ml almond milk
1 tbsp of ghee or oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp grated or minced garlic
½ tsp each of cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns
Seeds from 10 green cardamom pods
½ tsp of ground turmeric
1 tsp hot chill powder (or to taste)
2 tbsp ground almonds
2 tbsp plain yoghurt
Chopped green chillies
Salt to taste
Toasted flaked almonds to garnish

Method
  1. Place the almond milk in a pan and bring to a simmer. Cook slowly until it is reduced by two thirds. Set aside.
  2. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds, the peppercorns and cardamom seeds. Dry fry for a few minutes until they start to smoke slightly. Place the spices in a spice grinder and reduce to a powder. Set aside.
  3. Heat the ghee or oil in a pan. Add the chopped onion and cook gently until the onion is softened.
  4. Mix in the ginger and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until the raw ginger smell disappears. You can add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture is to dry.
  5. Add the ground spices (including the turmeric and chilli powder) and cook for a few minutes more (adding water if required).
  6. Mix in the reserved almond milk, yoghurt and ground almonds. Add water (approx. 100 ml) until the sauce reaches a thick creamy consistency. Add salt to taste. At this stage, if you wish, you can process the sauce until smooth (I used a stick blender).
  7. Add the chicken pieces. Cook the curry over a low heat for 30 minutes than add the green chilies (reserve a few to garnish). Cook gently for a further 15 minutes.
  8. To serve, scatter the remaining chilli and toasted flaked almonds over the top.

Very interesting, the effect that almonds have on spiciness. It sounds similar to what Szechuan peppercorns do: they mute the heat, allowing you to add more. I will keep that in mind.

This is a really beautiful recipe. I'm a huge fan of Indian cuisine, and this is one I haven't tried yet. This will have to change.

Very interesting, the effect that almonds have on spiciness. It sounds similar to what Szechuan peppercorns do: they mute the heat, allowing you to add more. I will keep that in mind.

This is a really beautiful recipe. I'm a huge fan of Indian cuisine, and this is one I haven't tried yet. This will have to change.

Szechaun pepper numbs the tongue (or some taste buds) so I think that is why it mutes heat. The almonds calm the heat. At least, that is what I think...

I'd love someone to try out the recipe. I really appreciate feedback as I am testing on a limited number of people here!

I tried a variation of this today. I used coconut milk which I saw on another chicken pasanda recipe and I didn't reduce it first. It turned delicious.
View attachment 48815

Thanks for trying it. I'm so pleased you enjoyed. I'm certain it works with coconut milk but as epicuric says I have an issue. I become nauseous if I even taste it. Its some sort of intolerance. I reduced the almond milk to make it thicker which you quite rightly realised you don't need to do if using coconut milk.

Thanks for trying it. I'm so pleased you enjoyed. I'm certain it works with coconut milk but as epicuric says I have an issue. I become nauseous if I even taste it. Its some sort of intolerance. I reduced the almond milk to make it thicker which you quite rightly realised you don't need to do if using coconut milk.
I may be shunned for even mentioning this but have you ever heard of, made or used a BIR curry base?

For those of you that dont know what it is, BIR stands for 'British Indian Restaurant'. The recipe is essentially a very thick spicy veg soup. I make it in 5 litre batches and freeze what i dont use in 500ml portions ready for future use.

While im a big fan of making authentic curries, they can be a bit of a faff on a wednesday night when you want something good, quick.
You can use it to make some decent curries in about 30 minutes, which rival the best indian restaurants (here anyway).

I may be shunned for even mentioning this but have you ever heard of, made or used a BIR curry base?

I have although I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing because I don't think the sauce I made had any vegetables in it other than onions and possibly tomatoes. I used a recipe from a Balti cookbook, I seem to remember. I think there are probably lots of versions of BIR curry base. I agree its a useful thing, although arguably I could simply make large quantities of my own basic curry sauce and freeze for future use. Not sure if I've ever posted my 'basic curry sauce' recipe on the forum. Will check...

If you get a chance I'd be interested to see the BIR recipe you use. N.B. all recipes need posting as new threads.

Back
Top Bottom