Recipe Chicken Pot Pie (deconstructed)

AgileMJOLNIR

Local time
5:04 PM
Hi all. Been pretty slammed with projects at work and had to take a break for a few but I’m glad to be back and see so many posts up! Here’s one I just cooked last Saturday.

I was really craving Chicken Pot Pie but also biscuits so the easy solution was to make the filling and biscuits on the side. An easy recipe and you can prep virtually all the ingredients a day or two ahead of time to save time in the kitchen on cooking day. Basically a stew without the crust but with all the baked pot pie flavors I remember as a kid.

I made the biscuits as well but I’m sure everyone knows how to make those so I won’t include a recipe. All I did was press some Thyme leaves on top of the dough and finely grated some Parmesan on top before placing into the oven.

Ingredients​

• 2 tbsp unsalted butter (28g))
  • 6 slices of bacon 1/2 dice
  • 1 medium yellow onion diced
  • 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced
  • 3 celery stalks thinly sliced
  • 5 garlic cloves peeled and minced
  • 6 tbsp all-purpose flour (54g))
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1.2 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (563g)
  • 3 sprigs fresh thyme crushed between your fingers and chopped
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2lbs chicken breast cubed small enough to fit on a spoon
  • 1 cup frozen peas (145g)
  • 1 cup frozen corn (145g)
  • 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk (591ml))
  • ¼ cup chopped parsley

Method​

1. Pre-heat oven to 450F (about 232C)
  2. Place carrots and potato’s on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat and bake for approximately 14min tossing half way through.
  3. Preheat a Dutch oven on medium heat. Drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil and add the chopped bacon. Cook until crisp and remove. Leave the rendered fat in the pot.
  4. Season your cubed chicken with salt and pepper and add to the rendered bacon fat and cook in batches, browning the chicken but not cooking all the way through. Remove and set aside.
  5. Add a little more olive oil to your dutch oven and add in the onion, garlic and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened, stirring often.
  6. Add in butter and stir until melted and veggies are coated and glossy.
  7. Sprinkle in the flour stirring constantly for about 1 minutes to create a thick pasty roux.
  8. Add in your chicken broth and milk. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and add the cubed chicken, roasted veggies and thyme (crush thyme between fingers before adding to release the oils). Simmer for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to build, sauce to thicken and chicken to cook through. Taste for salt and pepper.
  9. Add in your peas and corn and stir to combine. Cook for about 5-10 minutes to heat through.
  10. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and bacon. Serve with biscuits or bread.

I made a lot of changes to this recipe but you can try it both ways of course.
Source

IMG_8461.jpeg IMG_8460.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back! Lovely looking dish.:bravo::bravo:
Thank you and thank you. I hated not being able to cook as much and post here but sometimes work pulls you away. Fortunately it’s not often I get this slammed. I’ve got some catching up to do around here I see!

Nice.
I favour a hexagon cutter for a cobbler top too, get a lot more out of the dough without having to do a re-roll ay!
Winner winner chicken … you can fill in the rest 😂
Definitely my favorite as well. I picked up this cutter a couple years back at a bakery I use to go to. This was my first time using it but it worked like a charm lol. I do have some other cutter shapes I’l start playing around with in the near future.

Definitely my favorite as well. I picked up this cutter a couple years back at a bakery I use to go to. This was my first time using it but it worked like a charm lol. I do have some other cutter shapes I’l start playing around with in the near future.
Hexagons are my favourite just because the cutter can be butted up against previous cuts so no tiny bits that end up binned, plus they fit together on a pie top nicely.

Other cutters that have sharper edges (eg square) seem to over brown in the oven on the corners.

BTW one of my dogs nick names is Chicken Pot Pie 😂

Back
Top Bottom