Recipe Chicken Tacos and Frijoles Refritos

AgileMJOLNIR

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
5:34 PM
Felt Iike homemade tacos for lunch this week. I recently bought a bunch of heirloom Masa so I gave it a splash of color and did white, blue, red and yellow varieties. These are citrus marinated chicken tacos with a mango jalapeño slaw and a side of Frijoles Refritos.

Note on the beans recipe you want to drain the beans after cooking them and reserve a cup of the cooking liquid to introduce back into the beans as you’re mashing them until the desired consistency is reached.

Recipe sources at bottom under the photos except for the tortillas.

7C49803B-373B-464E-8B51-5B7CAC7E2640.jpeg

C6097B86-C33E-4ED4-87B8-88DA5871EFF6.jpeg

9A61883F-199B-4A52-A252-1E4ECEDF0562.jpeg

Ingredients​

Citrus Chicken​

• 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts

Slaw​

• 2 cups shredded green or purple cabbage
  • 1 small jalapeno, minced
  • 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Warmed tortillas, sour cream, and orange or lime wedges for serving

Instructions​

Citrus Chicken​

• In a medium bowl, whisk orange juice, lime juice, garlic, mustard, parsley, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste until smooth. Place chicken in marinade making sure it is evenly submerged. Let chicken marinade at least 2 hours or overnight.
  • Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry. Grill chicken over medium-high heat, flipping once until chicken registers 160F. Allow chicken to cool, then slice into thin strips and keep warm.

Slaw​

• In a medium bowl, combine all slaw ingredients until evenly coated. Season slaw with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Assemble the tacos by filling warmed tortillas with sliced chicken and topping with slaw, sour cream, and lime/orange wedges if desired.

Ingredients​

• 1 pound dried pinto beans
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening/ vegetable oil

Instructions​

Slow-cooker directions:
  • Rinse beans.
  • Place beans in a 4-quart slow cooker with 6 cups of water.
  • Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 to 10.
  • Once the beans are soft and can break easily with a spoon, add the 1 tablespoon of salt.
  • In a small skillet, heat the oil or lard until shimmering over medium-high heat.
  • Add the hot oil to the beans and mix well until it's integrated into the beans.
  • Using a bean/potato masher, smash the beans to form a chunky puree - alternative, use a stick blender to make a smoother puree.
  • Cook for another 30 minutes on high.
Stove top directions:
  • Rinse beans.
  • Place beans in a 4-quart pot with 8 cups of water.
  • Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
  • Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 2 hours or until soft and can break easily with a spoon
  • Add the 1 tablespoon of salt.
  • In a small skillet, heat the oil or lard until shimmering over medium-high heat.
  • Add the hot oil slowly to the beans (being careful not splash the oil outside of the pot) and mix well until it's integrated into the beans.
  • Using a bean/potato masher, smash the beans to form a chunky puree - alternative, use a stick blender to make a smoother puree.
  • Cook for another 10 minutes on low.

Tacos source - wholeandheavenlyoven
Beans - muydelish

Last edited by a moderator:
They look great! Love the taco holder!
Thank you:)

I’ve always wanted one of these taco holders. I see the metal variants at restaurants from time to time and they are actually pretty functiona,l especially when you have to build multiple tacos at a time like I did here. Cute way to serve them to guests too.

Last edited:
Thank you:)

I’ve always wanted one of these taco holders. I see the metal variants at restaurants from time to time and they are actually pretty functiona,l especially when you have to build multiple tacos at a time like I did here. Cute way to serve them to guests too.

I bought a few of those stainless steel ones at AceMart Restaurant Supply. If you flip them the other side up, they hold two tacos.

_DSC2335.jpg

CD

I’ll be coming back to this one soon. I like the sound of that marinade.

Back
Top Bottom