Recipe Chicken veloute with string beans and buckwheat-rice

PabloLerntKochen

Über Member
Local time
8:53 PM
I used leftover chicken from yesterday. For 2-3 people
Ingredients: 280g/10oz pre cooked chicken, 125g/4,5oz string beans, 80g/2,8oz rice, 80g/2,8oz buckwheat, 350ml/11,8oz chicken stock, 1 branch of celery, 1 red onion, 1 tbsp flour, 1 tsbp butter, 1 bayleaf, nutmeg, salt, pepper, thym, agave syrup or sugar, dash of white wine.

1. Wash your hands.
2. wash the celery, peel the onion, dice both, roast them in a pan on middle heat, take everything out. Put the butter in the pan, let it melt, add the flour, swirl both. Let the roux not get brown. Add the stock, mix everything until there are no pieces of flour anymore. Add the bayleaf, season it with nutmeg as the dominant flavor, add pepper, salt and thym to taste and the roasted onions/celery and one small dash of white wine. Let it simmer on low heat for at least 20 minutes, occasionally swirl every five or ten minutes through the sauce.
3. Wash the string beans, clean them with a small knife, blanche them in boiling water, don't use to much, they've to be coated in water and take them out of the water when they start to get soft,
4. Dice the chicken meat, give it into the veloute. Start with the buckwheat rice, you have to cook it in 1½ amount of water as the amount of buckwheat rice, don't forget to season the water with enough salt. Glace the string beans in a bit butter, season them with salt, pepper and a bit of sugar/agave syrup.
The meal is ready when the rice is done. Bon appetit and stay healthy.
img_20210206_1908105733241232660675315.jpg

I like the lightness of this chicken dish and the use of nutmeg in the velouté. Its definitely something I would make with leftover chicken.

Do you mean 'roast' the celery and onion. I think perhaps you mean gently cook in a pan (with oil or butter) until softened?

No, when you roast them on middle heat you get this nice aroma of caramel, but you can do them without, if you want. I just couldn't find a better name for the sauce, if you could help me with that I would take another name, I know veloute should be white. Stay healthy

No, when you roast them on middle heat you get this nice aroma of caramel, but you can do them without, if you want.

Ah OK - but no oil used?
. I just couldn't find a better name for the sauce, if you could help me with that I would take another name, I know veloute should be white.

Yes - I think that's why I queried your method of cooking the onion. Having said this there are other classic sauces based on velouté which are not what white - such as Sauce Ivoire. I don't know of a name for one which uses caramelised onion and celery to colour it, though. Anyway - in the photo the sauce looks quite white!

I've to admit that I had to add some milk before serving, because I let the sauce simmer for to long. Normally you shouldn't let it simmer for so long. The sauce was definitely a bit more brown, like a peanut sauce with not to much peanut butter.

Back
Top Bottom