Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:11 AM
Over 30 years ago my boss and I checked in late to the Kirkhill Lodge hotel in Dyce, Aberdeen to find that they had finished serving food. However, they were prepared to re-heat some chili con carne if we wished. I'd never had it before but as it was all they had, I tried it. That started my obsession with chili con carne.

At the time I subscribed to a fortnightly publication called "Supercook" which did have a recipe in the earlier issues (recipes were in alphabetical order) so that was my "start point". Over the next few months I adapted the recipe to suit my taste and excluded the kidney beans to suit my son's taste.

This is the result:

Ingredients (for 16 servings)
  • 3 kg Beef, minced (ground)​
  • 3 kg Onions, chopped​
  • 6 tblsp Olive oil​
  • 2 litres Beef stock​
  • 12 Garlic cloves, crushed​
  • 2 kg Tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or tinned tomatoes)​
  • 3 tblsp Tomato puree​
  • 12 Chopped fresh chilies (jalapeno or cayenne)​
  • 12 Chopped fresh chilies (Thai hot)​
  • 4 tsp Cumin seeds, ground​
  • 4 tsp Cayenne pepper (or 5 tsp chili powder)​
  • 4 tsp Oregano, dried​
  • 6 tsp Salt (or to taste)​
chili ingredients.jpg

Method

Heat about 1 tblsp of the oil in a large heavy based frying pan and fry the minced beef in batches, adding a little more oil for each batch. When the beef changes colour add to a very large cooking pot.

Add the remainder of the oil and fry the onions and garlic (again in batches) until the onions are golden brown. Remove and add to the pot. Add the beef stock to the pot and bring to the boil. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and chilies and bring back to the boil stirring constantly. Then add the cumin, cayenne (or chili powder), oregano and salt and mix well.

Reduce the heat to minimum, cover the pot and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with pitta bread, naan bread, french bread or rice.

chiligbread.jpg

Last edited:
With a headless glass of Thai lager........

CCC-1_zps5cjbbmvy.jpg

Sounds good and a bit similar to what I do. But no red chilli beans! I also put a splash of Worcestershire sauce in mine and sometimes a grating of 90%chocolate.

Your chili could possibly win a cookoff. Looks like a great recipe.
Disclaimer: went to way too many chili cookoffs when I was a teen and preteen.

Your chili could possibly win a cookoff. Looks like a great recipe.
Disclaimer: went to way too many chili cookoffs when I was a teen and preteen.

I ate chili in Houston many years ago. I was not impressed.

I ate chili in Houston many years ago. I was not impressed.
Wrong part of Texas. I never saw a Houston chili win a cookoff. I was talking West Texas. (The region not the city.)
And your chili recipe still looks fabulous.

I cooked a chilli con carne today. I amended the above quantities to only 1 kg beef, 1 kg onions, 800 gms chopped tomatoes, but 8 No large red cayenne chillies and 8 No red Thai hot chillis. 2 tsp each of oregano, ground cumin seeds, cayenne pepper and 3 tsp salt.

You certainly knew that you had eaten it!

After seeing your post for today's cook, I did a search for your recipe. That's a good looking recipe. :okay:

I realize that Texas chili is "unimpressive" and "tasteless," but your recipe is actually a lot like many of the varieties of chili recipes that people make in Texas. It's pretty close to my my usual chili recipe. The only difference is that I typically use dried chilis, instead of fresh.

CD

That looks great!
Mine´s got bell peppers in it and, since I´m closer to Mexico than you are, a variety of Mexican chiles (Ancho, pasilla,morita) as well.
I´m obliged to blend the onions tomatoes and peppers , because otherwise my youngest will excavate the pieces of vegetable:eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom