Chips (Fries) with...?

Chips with battered cod (and salt and vinegar).

View attachment 27899

Egg with chips (and salt and vinegar)

View attachment 27900

Egg, beans and sausage with chips (Chop sauce to add).

View attachment 27902

Fillet steak, mushrooms and tomatoes with chips (English mustard only).

View attachment 27903

Gammon and peas with chips (English mustard only).
View attachment 27904

Cold ham, eggs and tomatoes with chips (English mustard only).

View attachment 27905

All of the above are favourites of mine - I'm now 'chip craving'.

Yep! I love them. One thing that annoys me is when chefs make 'posh' mushy peas using fresh or frozen garden peas. Mushy peas have to made from dried peas!

And Jamie Oliver is the worst offender!

Although I won an award for my "Yorkshire Dhal" on his (now defunct) site.

Yorkshire dhal-1 s.jpg

All of the above are favourites of mine - I'm now 'chip craving'.

Strangely, the majority of the images are a few years old. Chips now are generally only an accompaniment to battered fish for me. The purchase of the halogen oven encouraged me to focus more on roast potatoes.

That's the Canadian dish, isn't it. I've never made it either. I think @Rocklobster (who hasn't been seen here for a while :() has it on his diner menu in Canada.

Yes, they are covered in brown gravy and have cheese curds scattered throughout. I noticed our butcher place has the curds in their cheese area a while back and told Craig we should try it.

I love chips, in all their different shapes and sizes....its an extension of my love of potatoes.

For me traditional chunky chips always need salt and vinegar...we often have them as a side with steak or if I'm doing ham, egg & chips. With burgers we'll sometimes have chunky chips and other times we'll have thin crispy french fries. I like ketchup with chunky chips, but for me thin fries go better with mayonnaise. I remember when I was a student in Edinburgh you were always offered "sauce" in the chip shops there instead of vinegar...it has a similar taste to HP Sauce but its much thinner and less strong tasting. Very nice though!

Other variations we often have at home are skin-on chips, wedges, loaded fries (similar to @TodayInTheKitchen 's photo), curly fries using the spiralizer, and flavoured chips: I like to add spices like paprika, garlic powder or chilli flakes to them whilst they're cooking in the Actifry.

One thing that annoys me is when chefs make 'posh' mushy peas using fresh or frozen garden peas. Mushy peas have to made from dried peas!
I absolutely LOVE proper mushy peas, ideally with mint sauce (but vinegar will do if mint sauce isn't available), in fact I had some last night. But I also like posh mushy peas - when I make them I blitz the garden peas with a bit of creme fraiche and fresh mint (or mint sauce).

For me proper mushy peas are something you get in a little pot from a takeaway (or make yourself of course)....they're a very casual kind of food with a pretty strong flavour. In a restaurant I'd usually expect to have the posh version - much prettier on the plate and easier to balance the flavours with other ingredients.

ou were always offered "sauce" in the chip shops there instead of vinegar...it has a similar taste to HP Sauce but its much thinner and less strong tasting.

Maybe it was watered down HP sauce!

For me proper mushy peas are something you get in a little pot from a takeaway (or make yourself of course)....they're a very casual kind of food with a pretty strong flavour. In a restaurant I'd usually expect to have the posh version - much prettier on the plate and easier to balance the flavours with other ingredients.

I reckon mushy peas are fine dining 'restaurant worthy' - in fact.... you have given me an idea!

Back
Top Bottom